Marvel shows a more mature side

exc-566f8e98a2bab892c6a0e516
exc-566f8e98a2bab892c6a0e516

facebook.com

The first season of “Jessica Jones” was released by Netflix on Nov. 20.

Sometimes you need a hero, other times you just need a detective. This is one of the latter. Based on the comic “Alias,” “Jessica Jones” brings yet another great show to enhance Marvel’s reputation. The name of the show was changed in order to avoid confusion with the old ABC show with the same name.

All 13 episodes of “Jessica Jones” were released on Nov. 20. The series follows title character Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter), a former superhero who retired after a disturbing run-in with the super villain Kilgrave (David Tennant) who has the ability to control minds.
Jones currently acts asa private investigator, but when a missing person case leads her back to Kilgrave, she must face her past. She is joined by her friend Trish Walker (Rachael Taylor), former child star-turned-radio talk show host. Luke Cage (Mike Colter) plays a bartender with indestructible skin and ties with Jessica’s past.      

“Jessica Jones” is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. While in continuity with “The Avengers” films and the Netflix show “Daredevil,” they’re not required homework to watch beforehand. The show follows as Jones deals with being in a world where people with powers are an everyday occurrence.

The performances are great. Ritter brings out the edge in Jones. Tennant steals the show as Kilgrave. His performance adequately displays the ego and psychopathic nature of someone who can literally get whatever they want.

This is the most adult project that Marvel Studios has done. The show creates a feel of paranoia as Jones never knows who is under Kilgrave’s control. Another theme is recovering and dealing with trauma.

The show, without hesitation, talks about subjects like rape and abortion. “Jessica Jones” talks about these subjects in a way that’s frank without becoming graphic or gratuitous.

The side plots are not as interesting as the main story. The episodes get bogged down with Jones’ eccentric neighbors or the marriage problems of her lawyer, all of which are just not essential to the series.

The show is shot rather realistically, as opposed to the noir style that most detective shows have. Voice-over is only used in the first and last episodes. Even the superpowers are presented very matter-of-fact. They’re no wham shots showcasing Jones’ powers. She just has super strength. No big deal.

“Jessica Jones” is a dark, yet mature look at superheroes from another perspective.