Maria, why you wanna do me like that?

Nicolette Bolich
The final four Rose Ceremony after Hometown’s

Love is in bloom this spring semester, as loyal fans follow Joey Graziadei on the latest season of “The Bachelor.” With hometown dates approaching and only four girls left, connections are growing stronger. As Bachelor Nation continues to speculate on who Joey might choose, there seems to be a general agreement on who the crowd favors. My top contenders include Maria, Daisy, and Kelsey A.
By following along each week, a sense of eagerness is shared amongst viewers alike. Whether you are hoping that your favorite girl gets a rose, or need to know about a cliffhanger from the week prior, ABC Network knows how to keep a crowd entertained. 

Many students at Sonoma State have expressed how they find the viewing experience to be more enjoyable with friends, “Every Tuesday I get together with my roommates and friends to watch. We switch houses each week and we have so much fun, I like to hear everyone’s different opinions on the girls,” says Amaya Chong-Vargas, a second-year business management major. 

Local restaurant Flagship Taproom in Cotati has been hosting watch parties every Monday night since this season of “The Bachelor” started, in hopes of creating a close-knit community. “Initially at the beginning of the season we had great turnouts, but this last week was pretty bad and basically nobody showed up for it,” says bartender and biology major Matt Lizarraga. He pointed out that in previous weeks they had advertised on social media, however, forgetting to post about episode six might have had to do with the poor attendance. With plans to continue airing the show until the finale, Flagship stays hopeful that the crowd will return. 

Things start heating up halfway through the season when Joey plans a two-on-one date with contestants Sydney and Maria. In hopes of getting past the drama created by a misunderstanding, he rightfully decides to send Sydney home during episode four, leaving fans at ease. While episode three had 5.5 million views, episode four had 5.9 million, further emphasizing how drama can draw in a crowd; according to Selome Hailu from Variety

Ever since, Maria has continued to surprise fans with her lively personality and the way she can bring Joey’s personality out, unlike other girls. “Her connection with Joey is not like anyone else’s, they are always laughing together and don’t take anything too seriously. But, I don’t necessarily want her to win because I think she would be a great bachelorette,” says Gianna Domeniconi, a first-year communications major. Many seem to think that Maria would make for a fun bachelorette, and I agree; her vibrant, outgoing personality makes it hard to dislike her. 

Nearing the end of this season, every contestant is hoping for a one-on-one date card with their name, dreaming about spending time with Joey. Considering Daisy was the first girl to get a second one-on-one, there is speculation that he can see the strongest future with her. With Daisy’s kind, lighthearted personality, it’s no surprise what Joey sees in her, and the audience agrees. 

After watching Hometown Dates during episode seven, Maria regretfully decides to hold back from expressing her true feelings to Joey and he decides to send her home. As fans speculate about next season’s castings, hopefully, the Bachelor franchise agrees and can see Maria as a good fit for the Bachelorette.