Senior Spotlight: Giana Hays

Sonoma State Athletics

Giana Hays, a seasoned and resilient fifth-year, is a graceful highlight in the vibrant tapestry of collegiate athletics. She personifies the essence of dedication and passion on the college softball field. Her leadership on and off the field has forged a close-knit group that shares in the triumphs and obstacles of the game. 

Hays is from Sacramento, currently majoring in business management, and was inspired to do so by her father who owns a utilities company and hopes to one day join her father in that industry. Her decision to attend Sonoma State was mainly motivated by her recruitment and being close to home as she didn’t know much about colleges and where she wanted to go when she was in high school. After visiting many campuses, she ended up deciding to commit to Sonoma. 

The reason why she got into softball was due to watching her sister play at a young age. “She always played softball growing up and I’d always just looked up to her and so whatever she did, I wanted to obviously do. We’ve been a really big sports family and then when I got to an age where I could actually play, my parents put me in and I love doing it.” Hays enjoys spending her time with her teammates because it’s comforting to be among other people who share her goals, do the same thing as her, and genuinely understand what she’s going through. 

When asked about the team’s dynamics, she said. “They make coming out just a blast. We are all going through the same thing, not just on the hard or good days. No one understands it like we do.” She views them more as family; even though you don’t always get along with your sisters or siblings, you still love them in the end. When Hays hangs up her cleats this season, she has considered teaching softball to young kids as a way to give back to the community. Hays is a true athlete who has left a lasting mark on the collegiate sports scene with her contagious love for softball and unwavering drive for excellence. 

As Hays nears the end of her college softball career, she considers not just her progress and successes, but also the long-lasting ties she has formed with her teammates past and present. She creates an unforgettable impact that extends beyond the scoreboards and demonstrates the continuing spirit of collegiate athletics.