Senior Spotlight: Alli McDonald

Sonoma State Athletics

In such a competitive conference, fourth-year Forward, Alli McDonald, is not only making a name for herself with her astounding stats but also making a strong and lasting impact at Sonoma State. “I’m proud that I can average a double-double in games, it’s a huge accomplishment I’ve worked hard for,” said Alli McDonald about her senior season. McDonald leads the conference in rebounding, is second in scoring, and is a 5x CCAA Player of the Week recipient on the Women’s Basketball team. 

From Diamond Springs, California, McDonald would come to Sonoma State in the Fall of 2020, where her first year was cut short due to the pandemic. Still, the following three seasons would be nothing short of conference domination every time she touched the court. “I’ve gone from playing 15 minutes to almost 40 now, and I’m happy that I can contribute how I do.” During Alli’s time at Sonoma State, she has been coached by Rich Shayewitz, current Men’s Basketball Head Coach, and Des Abeyta, prior Assistant Head Coach for UC Davis. McDonald said, “Both have impacted me very positively. Rich gave me the chance to play college basketball, which I am forever grateful for. Des gave me much more freedom on the court, and let me become the player I am today. And I’m thankful for both of them.” 

Not only is McDonald a big scorer and contributor to the team, but she’s also an influential individual to her teammates. “She’s just that person to look up to,” said Freshman Sienna Cherwinski, “She inspires me in so many ways, and I’m always in awe of how she stays composed and consistent every game. I’m going to miss her both as a great person and player.” 

In just three years of collegiate basketball at Sonoma State, she has played over 2058 minutes and has earned 933 points and counting. Alli McDonald will graduate in May of 2024 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology with a Concentration in Exercise Science. Post-graduation, she has plans to continue her academics by going to a Sonography/Ultrasound Tech Program or Physical Therapy School. “I hope I’ve created a good impact on everyone at SSU, but mostly my teammates. I hope I’ve shown them that hard work, extra hours in the gym, and hours of film do pay off in the end,” said McDonald, “And I hope that I’ve created a lasting impact on everyone I’ve met, especially in athletics.”