Senior Spotlight: Cameron Barry

Sonoma State Athletics
Cameron Barry focused in on defense after making a shot against CSULA.

Cameron Barry, a fourth-year Point Guard has been a bucket. His journey did not begin at SSU, he played for San Diego Miramar College from 2020 to 2022 where he was the program’s second all-time leading scorer. He then transferred to Cal State Dominguez Hills where he averaged 12.7 points per game. 

Barry’s experience on each team has been different. The play style is different from what he has been taught. “It has been a fun challenge of learning how to play in the system and applying it in the games,” Barry said. The team’s current record stands at 13 wins and 12 losses. Despite the adversity, Barry has maintained a positive mindset. “We have had some rough spots like any team does, but I think it taught us how to fight through adversity when things aren’t good. We finally got over those challenges and are playing great basketball right now and I know the struggles helped us get to this point,  “Barry said. He scored big against Cal State LA where he scored 21 points, he scored 7 out of 11 three-pointers. 

Men’s Head Coach Richard Shayewitz, had a lot to say about Barry. “Cam is a very good basketball player. He has a high basketball IQ that allows him to impact the game. He’s a great shooter and our best player coming off a ball screen. Cam is easy to coach. He’s a mature young man who understands that when a coach gives you feedback, they are giving you love.”

As a student-athlete, Barry has a lot on his plate. When asked what motivates him, Barry said, “My faith is the main focus in my life so I would say Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is my motivation. I believe that our mission is to love and serve others and I think basketball gives me a great opportunity to do that. There are so many ways to serve your teammates whether it’s on the court or off and I have made that a focus of mine throughout my career.”

Continuing his faith, Barry’s favorite bible verse is Philippians 4:6-7, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Barry is a team player and a big-time motivator for the team. “Cam brings a positive attitude to the gym every day. He’s the first to appreciate his teammates through a compliment or a high five. He is ultimately selfless and models it every day, “ said Shayewitz. 

When Barry is not on the court, Shayewitz says, “Cam has high character and is just a great human being. He is our leader.”