‘The Goonies’ Movie Experience

An Immersive movie experience brought students and their families out during ‘Siblings Weekend.’
Kate Williams
A blow-up pirate ship was available for the young siblings in attendance.

On Saturday, Feb. 17, Student Involvement hosted The Goonies Movie Experience in the Student Center in Ballroom A. 

The Student Involvement movie experiences are not just a movie screening, these events are about immersing attendees into the feel of a movie through food, decor, crafts, games and prizes.

Student Involvement has been putting on movie experiences for about a year and a half. Director Mo Phillips said the experiences are a way to engage students and “liven up the movie-going experience.” 

Phillips said that these events, along with Pack the Den, Big Nite, Summer Movies on the Green, and others, are about creating community and providing shared experiences. Phillips also said that through these events, Student Involvement and other campus entities strive to create and provide social gatherings that are about “connection, spirit, traditions, growth and so much more.” 

This particular event was part of Siblings Weekend, so many in attendance brought along a family member to enjoy the movie with. 

There’s a lot of things I do on campus, but it’s not every day you can bring your sibling.

— Abigail Ribet

Abigail Ribet, a third-year kinesiology major, attended with her brother. “I’ve really been looking forward to this event,” Ribet said, “There’s a lot of things I do on campus, but it’s not every day you can bring your sibling.” 

Upon entering, attendees were free to grab a pirate treasure goodie bag before taking a seat in the ballroom. The room was decorated with pirate-themed decor, including lanterns, miniature treasure chests and gold chocolate coins on all the tables. There was also a buffet-style nacho bar and a pirate ship bounce house for the younger siblings in attendance. 

Donald Lincoln, a second-year cinematic arts and technology major, heard about the event through a flier and came straight from work at The HUB. Although Lincoln had seen “The Goonies” before, he was excited to watch it again with his friends and colleagues. “I love supporting Student Involvement,” Lincoln said. 

According to Phillips, previous movie experiences included “Elf,” “Matilda” and “Hocus Pocus.” Student Involvement also hosted a “Polar Express” movie experience in December of 2022, which included a hot chocolate bar, s’mores making and a giant snow globe used as a photo prop. 

Phillips said her favorite moment of the experience was when a character in the movie rang a bell and audience members joined by ringing their own bells, “It was not planned, but it was memorable and special,” Phillips said. 

The next movie experience will feature the film “Mamma Mia.”  According to Phillips, it will take place later in the semester.