Painting and snacks

Sonoma State students enjoy Panera and paint
Veda Dean
Students enjoying Paint & Sip

Sonoma State students painted on the first floor of the student center. Students painted and enjoyed free cookies and drinks from Panera Bread from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Panera Bread provided lemon drop cookies, chocolate chip cookies, candy cookies, lemonade and agave lemonade. Sonoma State allocated 70 seats for students, but only 56 Sonoma State students showed up. 

The attending students enjoyed the social aspect of these events, where they could come with friends or alone and meet other students. They expressed that these events gave them something to look forward to throughout the week. 

Natalie Fielden, a first-year art major at Sonoma State, said she has a lot of fun attending these events, saying, “It gives me something to look forward to and I can get my friends to come with me so it’s really nice.” Fielden painted dollar signs on her canvas, noting that it was to manifest.

The Associated Student Production organizes these events, allowing students of all grade levels to engage with one another. Attendees are required to bring their student ID’s. The events, funded by the student’s tuition, are exclusive to students. 

Megan Bressel, a third-year political science major and member of the Associated Production at Sonoma State, said these events are beneficial for students, “it’s great for engagement, creating connections on campus, and doing something you may have never done before.” Bressel explained that student fees fund these events, emphasizing, “Every student pays student fees and we use your student fees to put on great events like these.” 

A variety of colors were offered to students, ranging from dark reds to light blues. Canvases were provided for students’ use with each table equipped with four canvases to encourage painting and socializing with friends. Many students felt that the event allowed them to express their creativity, which they seemed to enjoy. 

Chine Nkadi, a third-year zoology major at Sonoma State, said, “I think it’s fun to be creative and because all of the supplies are already here it makes it easier to be able to do it.” Nkadi highlighted the event’s free nature and opportunity to socialize with friends. Nkadi painted a mangrove.

While some students enjoyed the creative side of the event, others appreciated the free cookies, drinks, paints, and canvases which can be expensive for college students. 

Jorge Diaz, a first-year computer science major at Sonoma State, enjoyed the free aspect of the event, stating, “These events allow creativity, to those who don’t have access to these canvases and paints, these can be expensive.” Diaz praised the free cookies and drinks from Panera Bread and expressed willingness to attend similar events in the future. 

The “Paint and Sip” event will return to Sonoma State on April 16, 2024. The event will take place on a Tuesday in Weyden and Brewster on the first floor of the student center. Free food and paint supplies will be provided.