‘Va Va Vloom’ brings the joy of flowers to SSU

Seawolves gathered in Weyden and Brewster’s for a flower-arranging workshop just in time for Valentine’s Day.
COURTESY | Anna Eisert

ASP hosted “Va Va Bloom” on Tuesday, Feb. 13, a free flower-arranging workshop for Sonoma State students at Weyden and Brewsters. The event was held in two sessions, with the first event running from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and the second session running from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. 

The event was led by Brittney Glor, a fourth-year biochemistry major who has been hosting “Va Va Bloom” for three semesters. “I used to be a florist and I loved the idea of bringing flowers to campus and bringing my skills to the students of SSU.” Glor said, “I have always wanted to teach floral classes, and being able to use my expertise in this sort of way was really helpful and awesome.” 

Multicolored roses, fern leaves, and small white flowers known as Baby’s Breath were littered across the main tables. Several other tables had clear jars on them and pink heart-shaped note pads that students could use to write a note to whoever they were making their bouquet for. Students were able to select from these flowers and greenery to handcraft their dream bouquet.

COURTESY | Anna Eisert

Glor walked attendees through the process every step of the way. She was also readily available to answer any questions and provided a visual demonstration of her handcrafting her own bouquet.

Glor’s favorite part of the event was sharing her skills with others. “I know not everybody necessarily goes off my talk and my presentation, but it’s really fun to be able to teach people how to make an arrangement and see what they have learned come to life.”

COURTESY | Anna Eisert

Annie Zaccaro, a second-year psychology major who worked the event as a tech specialist for Student Operations said, “What I enjoyed most about working at this event was seeing everyone’s different artistic abilities when it comes to their bouquet and what colors they picked, and I liked that Brittney guided everyone through it.”

When asked about what brought her to the event, Melanie Ellis, who works for SSU’s culinary services said “I just wanted to get out more and came with a friend. It was quite nice and I found that I liked arranging flowers.”