SSU 2024 Sibling Weekend

Registration and Events during Sibling Weekend
Jenna D’Angelo
Abigail Ribet and her younger brother during sibling weekend

Siblings weekend at Sonoma State University encourages students to invite brothers, sisters, cousins, or neighbors to visit campus and stay through the weekend. All students, whether residing on or off-campus, are encouraged to bring a guest. Despite its name, Siblings Weekend welcomes family members of any kind to participate in the campus activities. 

Registration for Siblings Weekend began in December, allowing students to invite up to four guests to stay with them on campus. This process involves sending waivers to the guests or their guardians if they are under 18 years old. While guests of any age are welcome, the events are primarily aimed at ages five to fifteen. 

The weekend events provide students and their guests with the opportunity to spend time together and experience college life. Mo Phillips, Director of Student Involvement, said “Siblings Weekend…offer[s] opportunities for families to come up… to get an understanding of what you’re going through as a student and that it’s not just studying…all the time.” 

Abigail Ribet, a third-year Kinesiology major, invited her brother, a senior in high school, to come and stay on campus during Siblings Weekend. Ribet said she saw Siblings Weekend as a good opportunity to show him around and have him see what a “day in the life of a college student looks like…[and] get him ready.”

Events were scheduled between February 16-17, 2024. On Friday, check-ins were held for students to bring their guests along with their waivers for participation in the upcoming events. Pizza was provided, and crafts and games were available, along with distribution of Siblings Weekend t-shirts for the guests. Friday evening featured mind games with Paul Ramsay, where volunteers were hypnotized while in the audience. 

On Saturday, Campus Recreation organized rock wall climbing, open to all ages, although younger guests might be limited due to equipment sizing. The Makerspace in the library also hosted an activity, offering a tour and demonstration of their work. 

In the Student Center Valley Rooms, afternoon crafts were offered, providing students and guests with legos, painting supplies, build-a-bear materials, friendship bracelets kits, and pencil cases or tote bags for decoration. On Person Lawn, Sonoma State University’s petting zoo featured bunnies, goats, alpacas and more for students to interact with.

Saturday evening’s entertainment in the Student Center Ballroom was the Goonies Movie Experience, accompanied by a nacho bar, beverages, and an inflatable pirate ship for younger attendees. According to Phillips, the Movie Experience remains a staple of Sibling Weekend each year, with the movie changing to maintain fresh experiences. 

“In the Heights” was another option for students to watch and enjoy with their siblings, screening on Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and on Sunday at 2 p.m. Student tickets were free, while admission for guests was $12. 

This year’s Siblings Weekend was considered larger in scale compared to previous years, with two hundred guests registered to attend.