Sonoma State ’24 Spring Rush

Alex Doyle
Alpha XI Delta members

Spring Semester is back in full swing, bringing a new opportunity for Sonoma State students to join a fraternity or sorority through spring 2024 rush. On Jan. 29 and 30, the quad between the student center and the rec was filled with every fraternity and sorority as they were out to recruit new members. Sonoma State has a total of 19 sororities and fraternities for students to choose from. 

Skylar Schouten, a third-year business administration major and head rush coordinator for Alpha XI Delta, discussed their rush process. “We chose to have a two-day event followed by bid day. The first day we held a tea party so we could chat with girls over tea, treats, small sandwiches, and snacks.” Schouten added “I designed a sweatshirt that we all matched on that day. We had a lot of fun setting up our tea party and chatting with the girls. The second day we had an activity. We made flower arrangements and got to chat with girls more!” After this two-day process bid day came around and Alpha XI Delta was able to welcome in their newest members. 

Alex Doyle, a third-year art studio major, rushed Alpha XI Delta in the past fall. When discussing her experience so far in Greek life, she said, “Greek life has made my life so much better because it has introduced me to so many new people and gives me so many opportunities to try new things.” However, Alex understands the feeling of being new to the Greek life scene. “It can be intimidating, but it was honestly the best decision I’ve made, if you don’t end up liking it, you don’t have to go through with it, but I’ve met some of my best friends from going through recruitment!” 

Nevin Bell, a third-year business major of Alpha Sigma Phi, discussed his own experience with getting involved in Greek life at Sonoma State. “Being a part of Greek life has opened a lot of doors that I didn’t even know were there. It has offered me a lot of opportunities to grow as a person in this community over the past couple of semesters. Joining Alpha Sigma Phi has made me more open to taking on leadership roles and challenging tasks that I might not have been ready for before college.” When asked about this semester and how rush is going for Alpha Sigma Phi, he said, “The rush process has been going great, we’ve been working hard building new connections with guys that are interested in Greek life. At the moment, rush is right around the corner and we’re excited for what the spring semester has to bring.” 

A very common theme that surrounds the rush process for our Sonoma State sororities and fraternities is for newcomers to feel the connectivity and bonds within the organizations they might join. This wide selection of different organizations benefits each student as they can find the one that fits them best.