Students go head-to-head at Tuesday Night Trivia

Students gathered at Lobos to test their knowledge of Sonoma State’s history
Kate Williams
Students compete for a prize at an SSU history-themed Tuesday Night Trivia.

On Tuesday, Jan. 30, Associated Students Productions continued the tradition of hosting a trivia night at Lobo’s Pizza & Pub on the last Tuesday of the month. 

According to event organizer Brittney Glor, the themes for Tuesday Night Trivia are often researched by ASP, but occasionally students bring them up through a feedback form. This particular night’s theme was SSU history, which happened to be a student suggestion! 

Lobo’s was bustling with conversation and laughter as students trickled into the event. As the teams formed, attendees ordered appetizers and beverages from the bar and settled in for the evening. 

The teams varied in size, with some groups consisting of only two people, and some up to five, the maximum number of people allowed on a team.

The announcers, ASP event directors Brittney Glor and Megan Bressel, quickly recited the rules for the event before the first round began around 6:45. The round consisted of questions about SSU history and varied in difficulty. 

Some questions were fairly easy, testing whether or not students could name the Seawolf as SSU’s mascot,  and some were trickier questions like “How many students were enrolled when SSU first opened?” Spoiler alert: the answer is 274.

Announcers asked another question, “What is SSU’s motto?” with the answer being a Latin phrase, “Light of the Mind, Light of the World.”

At the end of the round, attendees celebrated as the announcer recited the correct answers, with some cheering and high-fiving one another. 

Next came the general knowledge portion of the night, which consisted of questions like “When it comes to beer, what does IPA stand for?” and “What colors do hippos sweat?” Turns out, hippos sweat red. Nicole Rodriguez, a fourth-year wine business major, said that was the most interesting thing she learned that evening.

Athena Flores, fourth-year Psychology student, attended the event with a friend. Flores won trivia at last year’s Valentine’s Day event and was excited by the prospect of winning again. “It’s still fun if you don’t win, but it’s more fun if you do,” Flores said.

The next Tuesday Night Trivia will take place at Lobo’s on Feb. 27 from 6:30 to 8:30, and ASP will be bringing back pop culture as the theme. Students can also look forward to a music-themed trivia night happening next month, and a “Things They Didn’t Teach You in School” trivia night at the end of April.