Food Reviews: Sonoma Sourdough is anything but sour

The weather might be cooling down, but that doesn’t mean Sonoma State students should be left with only hot foods. Sometimes a crisp sandwich is enough to soak up some of those pre-midterm jitters. In hopes of finding the perfect sandwich, I had the pleasure of visiting Sonoma Sourdough; a legendary lunch spot for the people of Rohnert Park.

Located in the shopping plaza near the intersection of Snyder and East Cotati Avenue sits one of three Sonoma Sourdough locations. Long-time manager Enrique Arenas tells me that this location has been open for about six years, with the other two locations, one in Rohnert Park and one in Petaluma, being open for sixteen years; an impressive accomplishment for a small business with the immense competition from other sandwich places such as Lombardi’s and Sourdough & Co.

The menu at Sonoma Sourdough is extensive, giving their customers a wide range of sandwich options to choose from. I decided to go with the number 17, the sandwich that Enrique told me,  “Is our best seller, one of my favorites as well.” The number 17 is a turkey club with bacon plus the “classic combo” which is lettuce, tomato, red onion, cheese, mayonnaise and mustard. All of these items are secured between two slices of, you guessed it, sourdough bread.

The sandwich was phenomenal. For $12.94, you get a lot of food. It is the perfect opportunity to eat one half and save the other for later. A a local sandwich joint isn’t always a picnic to keep afloat, especially in our neck of the woods. Enrique told me that in the winter months, specifically when it’s raining, “no one wants to go out,” which can be a problem for business. Much like the perfect ratio of meat and the classic combo, the change in seasons from cold to warm improves business as, “Summertime is pretty good and easy,” Enrique mentioned.

Another reason Sonoma Sourdough is a great place to eat is their exceptional hospitality. Everyone is very friendly and happy to be a part of the community. Fellow Sonoma Sourdough employee Fransisca Canseco told me that her favorite part of the job is, “The customer service,” a statement that proves that Sonoma Sourdough is committed to much more than just food. Considering Fransisca’s only gripe with working at this small business is, “Cutting onions,” it’s safe to say that Sonoma Sourdough is more than a sandwich shop, it’s a local business kept alive and thriving by its employees that put their hearts and souls into every work of art that walks out their front doors.

I spoke to Sonoma State alumni Cassius Klinetobe about his experiences with Sonoma Sourdough. “When I was a student, especially when I lived in the freshmen dorms, Sonoma Sourdough was always my favorite spot to get a sando.” After giving it a shot myself, I can’t see
how anyone could disagree. Their spacious layout, clean and functional dining area, decent prices, welcoming service, and classic over-the-counter deli-style ordering all make this hub for grub a very special place. 9.4/10.