And we’re live! Rickey and Jake Sports Talk

Jake Alimam
Jake and Ricky in the studio before reporting live.

Sonoma State University offers numerous classes that emphasize hands-on application for real-world skill development. Notably, the KSUN radio class within the Communication and Media Studies department stands out. In this course, students create a live radio show held weekly. Students can collaborate with a classmate or opt for a solo venture. The content of the radio shows spans a wide range, from sports to politics and everything in between.

This semester boasts over a dozen separate shows running weekly, with time slots ranging from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. This flexible schedule accommodates busy viewers, allowing them to tune in at their convenience. Show schedules are available on instagram at @ksunradio and on facebook at SSU’s KSUN Radio. These social media accounts are regularly updated with set show times and daily story posts advertising the shows for that day.

One standout show, “Ricky and Jake Sports Talk”, provides an insider’s look into the world of sports. Jake Alimam, fourth-year Communications and Media Studies major, explains, “We talk a lot about football, we also talk generally about sports and give opinions at times but mostly recap and we also talk about statistics.” This structured show, presented by hosts Jake and Ricky, caters to sports enthusiasts, offering valuable insights into ongoing events.

The KSUN studio offers students the opportunity to run a radio station, a new experience for many. Alimam said, “I haven’t been on the radio before, this is all new. Before this class I had never done anything in the radio or broadcast industry.” The studio is equipped with various tools including a soundboard, microphones, and telephones allowing live calls during shows, creating an authentic radio station atmosphere.

Jake and Ricky live on-air in the KSUN studio. (Jake Alimam)

For students uncomfortable with public speaking, this class serves as a positive platform for skill development. Along with live broadcast and potential viewership, it offers hands-on practice in public speaking without the pressure of facing a live audience. Alimam said, “Try not to overthink it. A lot of the times when people are entering the radio world they get really nervous and don’t want to hear their own voice. That’s totally normal. Try not to think about those things and go in there and have fun.”