Finding gym outfits that work out

Going to the gym can be difficult, but it’s even harder to find clothing for the gym that feels good and gives you the confidence to power through a workout. As someone who works in a gym, I see all the different types of leggings and shorts worn for workouts. As Sonoma State students walk to and from the Rec center in trendy outfits, I had to know what they recommend and some of their favorite brands.

Alli McDonald, a senior kinesiology major, switches up her style depending on the workout for that day. McDonald likes tochange up her outfits, but said her go-to is, “generally bike shorts and a matching top or a big T-shirt.” Finding cute and affordable gym clothes can be difficult, but some of McDonald’s favorite finds are from Amazon. “I definitely also recommend Nike and GymShark, most stuff is squat-proof and flattering,” McDonald said.

Personally, I agree that these brands can be more costly, but certain stores have outlets and are worth it when looking for new workout attire.

Gracy Murphy, a third-year kinesiology major, was on her way to a workout at the Recreation Center when she stopped to recommend some of her favorite places to shop for new leggings for gym and everyday wear. Murphy said she goes to the gym often and must have outfits ready. A typical workout routine for her would be jogging and weightlifting with a good pair of leggings and a comfy shirt. Murphy said her go-to place to find the best affordable leggings is REI. “I look at their clearance section, and I’m one of their members, so I get some pretty good discounts, and they’re nice quality,” Murphy said.

She seeks out their flared leggings because they’re super comfortable and look great on everybody. “They are cute and can be stretched out for a workout and not worry about it being see-through, so I highly recommend these to everyone,” Murphy said.

Maya Graham, a fourth-year women and gender studies major, said she likes to wear shorts or leggings with a matching top. The top brands for her are Lululemon, Aerie, and Target brand attire. Graham said LuluLemon can be unaffordable, but “they last a while, are flattering and aren’t see-through.” Aerie is one of Graham’s favorites because, “They’re cheaper, have cute colors, and I just love the philosophy of their brand.”

Although Aerie is great, she said to be aware of how thin they can be. She has never had a problem, but just be weary when wearing. Graham also recommends their unique matching sets for comfort and cuteness.

High-end brands can be a big investment, but they are worth it in the gym. Comfort is most important; all these recommended brands get the job done and make you feel good while working out or lounging around in leggings.