Seawolves bounce back in weekend split

The Seawolves hosted their conference opener against Cal State Dominguez Hills which took place last Thursday in the Wolves’ Den

The Seawolves have been able to tread water in the early stages of the season and have now started conference play. Dating back to their opening game, Sonoma State has com- piled a respectable 4-3 overall record, gathering wins against Dominican University, Academy of Art and the University of Sioux Falls.
The Seawolves hosted their conference opener against Cal State Dominguez Hills which took place last Thursday in the Wolves’ Den. Unforuntaley, the Toros took the game with a final score of 59-55. Notably for SSU, senior center Dillon Iyawe was able to lead the team with 13 points and 5 re- bounds while junior shooting guard Andrew Henderson put up 11 points on 6 rebounds.
“One of our biggest strengths as a team is our depth,” said senior forward Pierce Rexford, “We have a lot of great players this year which allows us to get production from multiple guys making it very hard to play against us.” Sonoma was able to rebound with a win against Cal State Los Angeles by a final score of 78-68. Henderson shined again with a performance that included 21 points and a game-high 14 rebounds.
“We bounced back with a good league win against Cal State LA who was a very tough team… We still have a lot to improve but I think when it’s all said and done we are going to be a very good season due to [our] good coaching staff and very talented team,”

We still have a lot to improve but I think when it’s all said and done we are going to be a very good season due to [our] good coaching staff and very talented team.

— Nick Medeiros, sophomore point guard

sophomore point guard Nick Medeiros said when asked about his current perspective.
As far as training regimes go, freshman forward Terence Haywood is covering all sides. “I’ve been train- ing three times a week in the weight room, getting one-hundred makes in every day on top of practice and individual training sessions.”
The Seawolves are currently amidst a 4-game homestand, having matched up against Dominguez Hills and LA already, they play Chico State and Cal Poly Humboldt this Thursday and Saturday.
Additionally, the SSU Alumni Association is hosting a Sip and Mingle event this Saturday in the courtyard outside the gym from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. where several alumni-owned breweries and wineries will be pouring for registered guests.