Campus event inspires unity

exc-54345988e4b0100e951c5cc4
    exc-54345988e4b0100e951c5cc4

Are you wondering about what was going on at the Sauvignon Green Friday, Aug. 23? It was the first ever Meet the Greeks event, which was created by Inter-Fraternity Council President Jesse Red.

“I came up with the idea because I realized there has never been an event where IFC (Inter-Fraternity Council), NPC (National Panhellenic Council) and MGC (Multi-cultural Greek council) come together,” said Red.

It is the start of the up and coming events involving the Greeks coming together to show Greek unity on campus, of which there will be many more events to come. 

At the event there were tables for the different organizations where people could stop by and get an idea of what the Greeks are all about. It also allowed people who are interested or have no idea whether or not they are going through recruitment to ask any questions they have about all the different organizations.

There was great music along with volleyball and football being played on the lawn, which made it a very fun and a casual environment for people to stop by and see what Greek life is about.  A lot of the Greeks who attended this event believe that this will impact recruitment positively.

“Meet the Greeks is going to impact the up-and-coming recruitment because there was no pressure at the event,” said Grace Martinez, public relations chair of panhellenic. “It was very casual and the freshmen got a little insight of what they are getting into before Panhellenic recruitment.”

The atmosphere of the event got more people interested because it allowed people to be included even if they weren’t apart of the Greek Life.

“The event was successful with respect to the fact that it was our first time trying an event like this,” said Philanthropy Chair of Panhellenic Paige McReynolds. “Fraternity and sorority potential new members were playing volleyball with active members and it looked like they were having a great time.”

Other than that, the crowd of people looked like they were enjoying themselves and the turnout was good, especially considering the fact it was the first ever Meet the Greeks at Sonoma State.

“Meet the Greeks was definitely a success because it made many people aware that recruitment is coming up soon and helped the Greek community to come off as less intimidating,” said Recruitment Councillor (Rho Gam) Claire Rodriguez. 

“It would also help promote Greek unity as well because it gives everyone an equal opportunity to get their name out there while doing it alongside other fraternities and sororities.”

The fraternity or sorority experience is a great way to create a sense of community and a home at the university. It’s all about friendship, leadership, scholarship, community service, philanthropy and brotherhood or sisterhood that compliment your classroom experience.

There are a lot of events and great opportunities in the fraternities and sororities, as the Meet the Greek event was put on to spread the word out about Recruitment to students.

“It was an opportunity for people going through recruitment to talk to organizations and get more familiar with them,” said Recruitment Councilor (Rho Gam) Kelly Fitch. 

“It was definitely a success and I see this event getting bigger next year. It was a good turn out as well.”

The event brought students together and created a fun and inviting atmosphere. With the success of Meet the Greeks,  one can anticipate this will help build the Greek community as well as Greek unity with all the different organizations.