FAASSU teaches Pag-Apir to Seawolves

STAR //  Dennae Taylor

Seawolves practicing Pag-Apir in  Ballroom D of the Student Center.

Students from Sonoma State came out to try out some new dance moves. The Filipino American Association at Sonoma State (FAASSU) hosted a Pag-Apir lesson open to all students interested in trying it out. The event was hosted in the spacious Ballroom D of the Student Center. As part of Pacific Cultural Night, FAASSU had a schedule of activities that students were able to try out. Some of the things that students could try out were Eskrima, Kapwa, Bangko, and Tinikling. The activities for Tuesday, Feb. 7 were Eskrima, Pag-Apir, and Kapwa which lasted from 7-10 p.m. Eskrima is the national martial art of the Philippines which involves stick and sword fighting, Pag-Apir is a traditional Filipino dance that incorporates fans, and Kapwa which is a Modern Hip hop style dance.

Pag-Apir is a traditional Filipino dance that shows a royal manner of walking usually performed before an important event and performed by the ladies of the royal court. The dance originated from the Maranao people who lived near lake Lanao. The dancers use fans or apirs as they are known which is why it’s commonly referred to as the fan dance. Leah Vallespin, a fourth-year biology student and the first-time instructor was leading the dance. Although it was her first time instructing, Vallespin had watched videos of Pag-Apir and was ready to show the Seawolves some new moves. When asked about why students should try out Pag-Apir, Vallespin said, “It’s just a fun dance, the simple and intricate movements make it look so graceful.”

Although it takes time and practice to make it look graceful, that didn’t stop students from having fun and giving it their best shot. Laughter and chatter filled the room as traditional Filipino music played and fans waved throughout the air. Another member of FASSUU Yoselyn Navarrete was also there helping out and teaching students about Pag-Apir Navarrete who has done other types of dancing like the traditional Mexican dance, Folklorico was happy to practice Pag-Apir with others. When asked about why dancing is important to her Navarrete said, “My favorite part about dancing is learning new dances from other cultures which gives me a diverse perspective.”  

Students new to Pag-Apir had a great time getting the movements down. Lexi Regan, a second-year women’s and gender studies major was attending the event and gave her thoughts on the event and Pag-Apir, “I saw that they were having a session and I thought it looked pretty and graceful.” If you are interested in attending an event in the future you can follow FAASSU on Instagram @faassu for info about any future events.