Seawolf Showcase: Meagan McPhillips

Sonoma State University has attracted some famous faces since the opening of Green Music Center in 2012. Aziz Ansari, Matt Nathanson and even Governor Jerry Brown have made appearances on campus.

However, many may be unaware that there is a local celebrity attending Sonoma State University. Senior Meagan McPhillips recently landed her dream job when she was hired as a radio DJ for “Froggy 92.9.”

The SSU student, country music enthusiast and former member of the rowing team began her journey into radio by interning for the local Santa Rosa radio stations owned by Sonoma Media Group. This includes “KSRO 1350,” “Froggy 92.9,” “97.7 The River,” “Hot 101.7” and “Mix 104.9.”

Sonoma Media Group offers internships every semester to students from Sonoma State as well as the Santa Rosa Junior College. In the past, unpaid internships have been controversial, but they give students incomparable and valuable work experience, and in McPhillip’s case can even lead into permanent jobs.

“My advice to other people interning right now is to work really hard and always put 100 percent into all that you do,” said McPhillips. “It sounds corny, but it really pays off.” 

After a year of interning she was hired to work at the front desk and was quickly promoted to an assistant position. At the end of October McPhillips was promoted again and was given the opportunity to host her own show on “Froggy 92.9” which plays her favorite genre of music, country. When asked about her achievements, McPhillips was still in shock.

“I totally thought I would be working the front desk still and would have to find a real job when I graduate,” said McPhillips. “I am very lucky to have had this opportunity fall into my hands.”

Unfortunately, many people do not enjoy going to work, but for McPhillips every day is an opportunity to learn something and have a great time doing it. Radio broadcasting is a dynamic field and offers numerous opportunities to those involved.

Radio was the perfect fit for McPhillips because she loves music and has been to over 60 concerts. She even has the lyrics to her favorite song, “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” by Toby Keith, tattooed on her shoulder.

When she is not at work or in the studio, McPhillips lives like most college students. She catches up on her favorite shows on Netflix, finishes homework and relaxes with friends. 

For McPhillips, there is no ordinary day in the office.

“My favorite part of working in radio is giving away prizes to listeners,” said McPhillips.

“It is always great to hear the listener’s excitement that they just won concert tickets or even a CD.”

It may be easy to imagine all the perks of working in the entertainment industry; however, it is not all fun and games. It can be stressful and McPhillips has learned how to keep calm and deal with difficult situations.

“My least favorite part is probably when all the paperwork has to be organized and sorted through,” said McPhillips. “Nothing is fun about going through thousands of papers.”

Her early success shows that a career goal can be reached at any age. Following her graduation from the communications program this spring, she hopes to continue working in radio promotions and eventually work for a record label or Country Music Television (CMT) in Nashville, Tennessee. 

Her radio show airs on Sundays from 7 p.m. to midnight on “Froggy 92.9” and can be streamed for free online at froggy929.com.