Women’s basketball falls to Stanislaus, Chico

The Sonoma State Seawolves Women’s basketball fell short this weekend against Cal State Stanislaus and Chico State. The game on Friday against Cal State Stanislaus was their first conference game of the season. 

The women came out fighting neck and neck during the first half of the game but as soon as half time was over, they lost their mojo. At the end of the first half the two teams were tied 31-31. The score was tied four times during the game and the lead was changed eight times throughout the course of the game. 

“It was our first conference game so it was sort of a clean slate. During the first half we really went out there and played like a team. We worked together and our energy was great, but for the second half I think we were shocked at how well we had done,” said Captain Kristina Fahey.

The game ended with SSU down by one with a few minutes left in the game, but were outmatched in the end with a score of 76-61. This loss left Sonoma State University 10th in the California Collegiate Athletic Association and Cal State Stanislaus in first. 

“We played well but not to the intensity that we had in the first half. This was definitely a step in the right direction as far as the intensity and working together as a team,” said Fahey. 

The following day, SSU rival Chico State entered the Wolves’ Den for the second conference game of the season. Two hundred fans filled the stands, all showing their school spirit, whether they were wearing Chico red or SSU blue. 

SSU entered the game with the record of 0-1 and Chico, having one more game than SSU under their belt, with the record of 1-1. The game started off with SSU in the lead by two points for the first few minutes of the game but Chico soon took the lead. At the start of half time the score was 36-29, Chico in the lead.

In the second half both teams scored 29 points, ending the game at 65-58. Chico won, once again leaving the Seawolves behind in score. This is just the beginning of the season, which gives the women’s team plenty of time to improve their record. 

“I’m going into this season with a senior attitude. It’s my last year and I don’t want to have any regrets in the end,” said Fahey. 

The Women and Men’s basketball teams will be travelling to San Francisco for their next game on Dec. 13 starting with the Women’s game at 5:30 p.m. followed by the Men’s at 7:30p.m. Sonoma State University will be hosting San Francisco State on Dec. 22 at 2 p.m. in the Wolves’ Den.