Greek community plans service day

Looking for the perfect opportunity to fulfill that New Year’s resolution to do more community service? 

The Greek community and Join Us Making Progress have combined efforts to plan an SSU Greek-wide community service day. 

The service day will be on Sunday, March 2 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and will involve at least 500 Greeks volunteering for 12 to 15 organizations across Sonoma County. 

Some of the organizations involved will be Redwood Empire Food Bank, Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa Animal Shelters, Sonoma State Children’s School, Sonoma State Community Garden and Rancho Cotati High School. 

Adam Rosenkranz, senior at SSU and president of the InterFraternity Council, is one of the driving forces behind this project. 

Rosenkranz is very passionate about showing Sonoma County that the Greek community and other clubs at Sonoma State are invested in the place they live. 

“This event will give us an opportunity to show that we care and that we want to get involved in the community,” said Rosenkranz. “It is important to show that we are invested.” 

He explained that this event would also give a chance to build relationships among students in different Greek organizations as well as individuals in other clubs on campus. 

This event also fulfills the community service aspect of Greek life.

Rosenkranz, along with others working on this project, have reached out to other clubs on campus to get involved with this service day. 

Not affiliated with Greek life? No problem.

“Anyone can join us for this day of service. We want to make this a very successful event and any student can volunteer, even if you are not affiliated with any of the participating clubs,” said Rosenkranz. 

There will be 12 to 15 site leaders to organize the specific volunteer work needed to be done at each volunteer site. 

The delegation of work amongst different individuals will give these students the opportunity to not only volunteer for a good cause, but a chance to organize a successful large scale event. 

Participating and organizing large volunteer events are always résumé worthy.

Each site will offer a different volunteer experience and there is something for everyone. Some service projects involve on-site cleanups and painting. 

If you like animals, perhaps cleaning cages or walking dogs at either the Rohnert Park or Santa Rosa Animal Shelter might suit you. 

Individuals who volunteer at the Redwood Empire Food Bank can have the opportunity to be onsite at a food distributor. 

Students can also be a part special group boxing projects for those in need. 

If you like gardening, you can volunteer at the Sonoma State Community Garden, where you can tend to the existing vegetable plants. 

Rosenkranz and others involved are still finalizing the list of volunteer organizations and they encourage any student with new ideas for possible volunteer work to let them know. 

Students can contact Rosenkranz by e-mail at [email protected] with any new volunteer ideas or can get more involved with this opportunity to and give back to the community.