Friars stays dedicated to students

For those, thirsty for a cold one on a Thursday afternoon, Friar Tucks Pub may just hit the spot. Friars has come a long way since its existence in 1992.  Friar Trucks Pub is located in Cotati on Old Redwood Hwy at the “Cotati Crawl.” In 1992, it started out very small. 

For the first two years Friars only sold beer and wine. The owner Cheryl Nixon explained the bars in Cotati back in 1992 had one or two beers on tap and Friars on the other hand started out with 16 beers on tap. 

“Friars was the first bar in town to offer beer in a pint glass,” said Cheryl Nixon.

Friars now has bigger TV’s, three pool tables, a dance floor, an outdoor patio bar, food and many drink options. It is a very popular bar for the locals, as well as college students. 

The prices of drinks and food items found on the menu are an affordable price, especially for the frugal college student. The bar has specials every night, and happy hour is Monday through Friday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Happy hour domestic beers are $2.25, and well drinks are just $3. 

“Thursday is the night that everybody goes. I refuse to leave Friars once I get there, because the line gets so long. We don’t usually bar hop on Thursdays,” said senior Jessica Stafford.

Along with Happy hour, Monday is $1 PBR and $2 Red eye shots. Tuesday, all ages are welcome until 9 p.m.. Tuesday nights are also comprised of Beer Pong Tournaments, and $5 PBR pitchers. Wednesday is 50 cent wings, $5.50 CPR’s and Karaoke night. Thursday night kicks off the weekend with its popular college night thirsty Thursdays, and $2 Coronas. 

Friday night is Girls Night Out with drink specials for the ladies, and always has a DJ. Saturday is free pool till 6 p.m. with karaoke, and Sunday has breakfast with the NFL game ticket, which plays all the games on that day. 

Friars also often throws parties. Twice a year the pub has a glow in the dark party, with a hired glow pain face painter, a white trash Joe Dirt party and even a stop light loving party. The stop light loving party pins guests as single and ready to mingle with the color green, yellow for those who are unsure, and red for taken. The stop light loving party is a great way to mingle with others who are of the same status. The parties always attract a big crowd and lots of college students. 

“It’s a good night when the sororities come in. It’s always something different. When they come in costume it throws us off,” said Jeremiah Cooms, the bouncer at Friars.

Friar Tucks Pub is also known for having the best fish and chips in town, along with their famous corned beef dinner.  Burgers, salads, sandwiches and fried pickles are other items that can be found on the menu. 

The Pub also supports pool league teams for North Bay, PBC, BCA league and has an in house fun league for all. Sign-ups for fun league start next week.

“I am not the greatest at pool, but I will definitely be coming back for the fall pool fun league. I play in the league with my mom, It is awesome that anyone is welcome to sign up,” said Michael Cossey a Friars league pool player. 

The fun league meets Thursday afternoons. It costs $5 a game, and at the end of the season there are many giveaways and a big potluck.