REC*It: the new, upcoming app

The newest app to hit the social media scene specifically for Sonoma State University  students is REC*IT.  

This app is made easy for college students who love to use their rec center, to manage their intermural sports and campus rec activities.  

Mike Dominguez, lead coordinator of intramurals told the STAR, “We haven’t implemented anything this semester, but are thinking about using it for next semester.”

Usually, the only sporting events students hear about are National Collegiate Athletic Association.  

However, at Sonoma State University, there’s an intramural program through the Campus Rec Center.

“Many don’t realize is that Rec Center sports are actually the single largest student activity on campus,” said Sarah Meyer, a senior account executive for the app.  “About 75 percent of students [are] visiting the Rec Center at least once a week for intramural or fitness activities.”

Many rec directors are excited that this app will shed light on the intermural sports and the different campus rec classes offered each week. 

MOKO Social Media launched the app. As the first and only app that provided active college students who use rec centers for intermural sports and classes to manage all of their activities right from their phone,.

This app is changing the way students can be more involved in the rec.

“REC*IT recently launched on over 850 college campuses across the U.S. and is continuing to grow,” said Meyer. “Now Sonoma State has access to the app and it has the opportunity to improve the success for intramural athletes.”

REC*IT is free in the app store and has many different features.  

Users can create their own profile which has their name, a picture of themselves and the different intramurals their involved in.

Users are able to view the schedule of their games and can track their team’s stats. 

Billy McGinis who plays for an intramural basketball team said, “Our team would definitely benefit from this app, and if we could have our stats on there it would be so awesome.”

There are team walls where team members can post on and also do group messages between the team.  

All of these functions can be useful to a team who needs to stay in contact with each other.  

“I am a part of an intermural volleyball team and I love it,” said junior Christiana Ratto. “But it would be great to have this app so that we could all communicate with each other throughout the week before and after our games, I think it would make our team stronger.”

It even allows students to discover new activities and gives updates about different events going on in the Rec Center.

“We have many forfeits from teams who pay an entry fee to play in a league and simply don’t show up to the games. This frustrates the opposing teams, our officials, supervisors and coordinators,” said Dominguez. “Hopefully this app will help people check their schedules more often and show up on time to games.”

It is time to leave the Rec Center bulletin boards in the past.  

REC*IT is the one-stop app to find out everything that is going on in the Rec Center.

This app is a new way for students to participate in intramural and rec activities and utilize the Rec Center as much as possible. 

Download the app and look for updates on it from the Rec Center next semester.