Phi Delta Theta teeter totter for a cause

exc-552c9d73e4b099037ab83652
exc-552c9d73e4b099037ab83652

If one is interested in having a fun time while helping raise money and awareness for a good cause with members of the Sonoma State community, then join the men of Phi Delta Theta at the 16th annual Teeter Totter Philanthropy. 

Teeter Totter is held annually in the memory of a fraternity’s fallen brother. This year’s event will honor Woody Bolin. When the fraternity brother died on Aug. 2, 2006 from cystic fibrosis, it became the fraternity’s goal to help raise money to help others fight against this life-threatening disorder. This year, the organization’s goal is to raise about $3,000 for the cause. 

This philanthropic event will take place inbetween the Student Center and Rec Center  on April 20 at noon and will conclude on April 24 at 8 p.m. 

With approximately 30,000 children and adults in the United States who suffer from cystic fibrosis, the goal of this event is to have people on the teeter totter for 104 consecutive hours to raise awareness and donations for the cause.

Not only will the money that’s raised go toward supporting the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, but other Greek life organizations have an opportunity to win money to donate toward their philanthropy and the chance for a free time slot for Teeter Totter. While everyone is welcome to take a ride on the teeter totter, Phi Delta Theta also plans to dedicate individual times for different Greek organizations to take part at the event. 

Phi Delta Theta is hoping to involve the whole campus in this event. “This year’s Teeter Totter is going to be a game changer. We are looking to make it much more of a social hub for the entire week. We have games and competitions planned for each day,” said Phi Delta Theta president Reno May. “We’re hoping to double the amount we raised last year in support of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. It’s my favorite time of the year and I hope everyone is excited about it as I am.”

A competitive activity known as ‘Penny Wars’ started March 30 and will continue taking place throughout the duration of Teeter Totter. Jars for each Greek organization can be found on Phi Delta Theta’s table in front of the Student Center, in which change or cash donations can be made. The winning organization will receive $50 toward their philanthropy and a free time slot on the teeter totter.

One of the most exciting things about this year’s Teeter Totter event are the changes being made to get the community involved. From fun games to socializing with students, the men of Phi Delta Theta are going all out this year. 

“For Teeter Totter, what I’m most excited for would be the events we are hosting alongside the teeter totter. Some of the events are going to be Messy Twister, movie night and a water balloon throw at a Phi Delta member,” said Joe Holl, philanthropy chair for Phi Delta Theta. “Being able to plan teeter totter means a lot to me, and the fact the event is dedicated to one of my fellow brothers means I have to work harder to make it as good of an event as I possibly can.”

Teeter Totter tank tops are also available for sale at $15 each and all proceeds will be donated toward their philanthropy. Wearing the event’s tank top will help with a new social media competition started this year called “Find a Phi.” All one has to do is post a photo with an active member of Phi Delta Theta or of one who’s wearing Phi Delt letters/shirts on either Instagram or Facebook, and then use the hashtag for the appropriate organization. Be sure to post the photos to the Facebook page for Phi Delta Theta: Sonoma State University and use the tag @phideltatheta_ssu on Instagram. 

To make an online donation to the cystic fibrosis philanthropy, Phi Delta Theta has established a PayPal account on the chapter’s website. Otherwise, one can stop by the event outside of the Student Center. The Teeter Totter will conclude on April 24 at 8 p.m. with a prayer service in memory of Brother Bolin.

Disclosure: Staff Writer Emily Johnstone is a member of the Alpha Delta Pi sorority.