Midnite Madness promises to be bigger than ever

Sonoma State basketball kicks off the 2015-2016 season with Midnite Madness in the Wolves’ Den on Wednesday. Attendees can enjoy giveaways, prizes and performances from the Sonoma State Sapphires, cheer team, athletic teams and a professional dunk team. 

The will also be a live DJ playing hit music. All of these festivities will beopen to students andthe general public for free. 

Midnite Madness is an annual event that college campuses hold to commemorate the first day the National Collegiate Athletic Association allows formal basketball practice, for both men and women’s teams. 

On some campuses, Midnite Madness has a literal meaning because they celebrate the first minute that they can start practicing. 

The dunk squad performing this year previously performed at a Warriors game. 

The Sapphires, Sonoma State’sdance team, have been practicing since mid Sept. Sapphires’ team captain and senior Erica Pecho said that this is one of the Sapphires biggest events all year.

“We also have been preparing a little something extra for the students as the Grand Finale,” Pecho said. “So we hope that a lot of people will come.”

This event is meant to showcase school spirit and give fans an opportunity to get excited about the upcoming season. 

“This event means a chance for school spirit. It is our goal to help bring the students together whether they may be an athlete, Greek or just an ordinary student,” Pecho said. 

Midnight Madness also recognizes Breast Cancer Awareness Month for the month of October so Associated Student Productions (ASP) is hoping students wear pink to show theirsupport. 

People are also encouraged to wear their favorite Seawolf gear to show theirschool spirit. Wear hats, jackets, t-shirts and all other gear to show your wolf pack pride. 

The first men’s baseball game is against Fresno Pacific in Rohnert Park at the Seawolf Diamond on February 2. 

However, if you need to get your basketball fix sooner, the first women’s basketball game will be on November 1, against San Jose State on their campus. It is an exhibition game but a great way to get pumped for the season. 

The first competitive women’s game will be on November 13 against Holy Names in Chico. 

The first home game will be on November 17 against William Jessup. 

However Midnite Madness doesn’t just highlight the basketball teams, it’s an event that showcases all of the sports teams hard work and achievements and gives fans the opportunity to rally together for all of the sporting events to come this year. 

“We hope all students and staff come to Midnite Madness. This a time where we can rally together for the start of Basketball season and acknowledge all the hard work of all the athletes on campus,” Pecho said. 

Pecho said that in the coming year she hopes to see more school spirit throughout campus. She is hoping the Sapphires performance this year will help with that. 

Last year the Sapphiresdid an amazing performance full of tricks and coordinated moves to a Beyonce song. It was a huge hit and one of the highlights of last year’s event. 

“Midnite Madness was a huge success last year and we want this event to keep growing for future years” Pecho said. 

Last year there were over 200 people in attendance as it is one of the athletic program’s largest on campus events they hold annually and this year they are hoping to double that number with over 400 students.