Earth day fair rewards student sustainability

exc-571ef9752b8dde095f499bda
exc-571ef9752b8dde095f499bda

Earth Day was celebrated with fun events, prizes and interesting facts on the Sonoma State University campus on April 21. The beginning of the day was raining and it looked like mother nature wasn’t going to be friendly, but turned out to be a beautiful day once the events began. 

Students were encouraged to ride their bikes or walk to school on Earth Day to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from car transportation. 

The first station was from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. which was an energizing tent. Students on Pearson lawn enjoyed tea, snacks and other refreshments to start off Earth Day with those who chose a sustainable choice of transportation. 

The main events were held from 11 a.m. until 2 a.m. between the Darwin and Stevenson buildings. There were a number of student run booths including information on the benefits of a plant-based diet, compost facts and myths, an e-waste clothing drive along with other ways to get involved with sustainability off campus. 

A free yoga class was offered from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. outside of the Recreational Center with music and fun prizes. 

“I love how everyone is coming together to discover the different elements of sustainability and learning new ways students can become more sustainable in their everyday lives,” said senior and environmental studies major Liz Platte-Bermeo. Bermeo is also the director of sustainability for JUMP, a student group focused on volunteering in the community. JUMP was also involved in organizing Sonoma State’s Earth Day events. 

JUMP had paper passports that students could pick up at the first booth and make their way down the rows of stations to check out all they had to offer in celebration of Earth Day. 

Once they had four stations checked off their passport, they could come back to the first booth to spin a wheel for prizes. Gifts included snacks, treats and a shirt made of organic material, designed by a Sonoma State student. 

The booth leaders were instructed to be sure students were as involved as possible when coming to stations so that they can get the most out of the information provided. Once the station leader felt the student had a good understanding of their booth’sgoal, they would check off the student’s passport putting them one step closer to prizes. 

“We are here to celebrate the planet we all live on and educate students on ways they can be empowered,” said Savannah Guinn,  a senior, environmental studies major. “We’re showing students how to take climate change into their own hands with booths including alternatives to toxic cleaning supplies, compost stations and top 10 tips to reduce carbon footprint.”

Earth Day stations also included how to make your own sustainable household products. One booth showed students what toxic ingredients were in their everyday kitchen supplies and alternatives to those products that are more sustainable. 

Another booth showed students ingredients and directions on how to make their own mascara, shampoo, conditioner, coffee body scrub bars and beeswax candles. For example, the conditioner was just one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, one cup of distilled water and eight drops of essential oil combined in a container.

There was also a booth on how to make your own seed bomb. Students demonstrated with clay, dirt and seeds and then instructed to “dry and let it fly.” The center booth had free plant-based diet foods including bananas, apples, asparagus and bell peppers.    

JUMP also hosted an environmental-focused volunteer opportunity on April 22 to celebrate Earth Day. To get more information on how to be more sustainable or for more volunteer opportunities email [email protected].