Influx of freshmen brings changes to Sauvignon

exc-57c61df28419c2380d177f4f
exc-57c61df28419c2380d177f4f

Sauvignon Village, located near the main entrance of Sonoma State University, contains more dorms than anywhere else on campus.

Changes have been made towards on-campus housing in order to benefit the incoming freshmen, both on a financial level and on a comfort level. Housing has now added triples to the Sauvignon dorms along with gender inclusive housing. With access to more available rooms, freshmen students will now have a place to live and one less thing to worry about during their first year at college. 

Sonoma State’s fall 2016 freshmen class had a higher turnout of on-campus housing applicants than previous years. With over 3,100 students living on campus, the increase in this year’s freshmen students has had an impact on housing. Especially with freshmen students desire for Sauvignon compared to the other dorms on campus.

“Sauvignon is so close to the kitchens and campus which is convenient,” sophomore Lily Dutra said. 

The addition of triples to the dorms is new to the Sauvignon Village. However, Sonoma State housing tested a triple room in one of the Cabernet buildings last year and received positive feedback. It made sense to extend this idea towards the village where the majority of freshmen live.

“We did the same thing in the freshmen Cabernet apartments for the same reason,” Director of Administration and Finance Cyndi Morozumi said. “Last year we offered triples in one building in Cabernet and students responded positively, so we added them to all apartments in Cabernet.”

Financially, triples in Sauvignon are saving residential students $2,528 in one academic year. Sauvignon doubles (two students per room) cost $13,314 for one year, while the triples cost $10,786. 

“We also added triples to freshmen areas as well…this was due to student request for less expensive housing options,” Morozumi said.

While triples may be the financial solution for incoming freshmen, comfort could be substituted. The Sauvignon doubles are not expanding, instead a bed and dresser are being added to the rooms. This will limit the space in the freshmen dorms.  Some students who have seen the new configuration aren’t opposed to the idea.

“I actually saw what a triple looks like in the Sauvignon dorms and it works okay. There is a loft bed and an extra closet armoire,”  sophomore Taylor Hyland said. “I think having triples will benefit the Sauvignon community financially, but I’m not so sure about socially.”

With enough space to add another student, adjusting to a smaller living space could cause frustration for freshmen. 

“I like the idea to lower the housing cost because it is so expensive, but those doubles were not meant to be triples,” sophomore Carly Wade said. 

With the new changes to the Sauvignon Village, freshmen now have a better chance living on campus along with some affordable options.