SSU Theatre Arts presents ‘The Connection Collection’

exc-5fb47e0d5b8fff05b36ae6de
exc-5fb47e0d5b8fff05b36ae6de

With COVID-19 dominating the entertainment industry over the course of 2020, many different mediums have been forced to adapt. Modified film and television shoots, voice acting being done from home, virtual concerts, the list goes on. However, one particularly affected type of entertainment has been theater. Between the lack of opened theatres and the risk of in-person contact, live theater has been struggling to maintain a presence this year, with major theaters like Broadway putting shows on hold until May at the least. Local fans of the theater need not worry about a lack of content, however, as Sonoma State University’s own Theatre Arts and Dance put on a pandemic friendly performance this weekend entitled, “The Connection Collection”.

The Connection Collection Photo - STAR.jpg

The Connection Collection was a series of scenes, done entirely through Zoom and streamed to the SSU Theatre department’s website. Despite the obvious limitations brought on by the pandemic, the performances made use of the technology to the fullest, with a clever mix of real props, zoom backgrounds with functional video green screened in to simulate others being on screen, and positioning of said Zoom screens to allow for actual blocking to take place, despite those on screen not actually sharing a stage.

Technical production aside, the scenes themselves were all centered around the concept of “Connection” as implied by the name. Each different scene had a unique take on the concept of connection in our lives, all framed by the first scene, “A Monologue for the Living”. This monologue spoke on the effects of “the plague” on everyone, and set the tone for the rest of the scenes, only for another “Monologue for the Living” to close out the collection at the end of the evening. The theme of “Connection” was explored in multiple contexts, with Director Danielle Cain explaining, “we share a yearning for connection. So, I started looking for plays about plague times, and the social constructs that separate us, and for situations when we so badly need to touch someone.” The collection’s scenes were equally influenced by the other events of this year, including the murder of George Floyd and subsequent Black Lives Matter movement.

While the pandemic itself has raised many issues for the theatre world in general, SSU’s presentation of the “Connection Collection” was in actuality very accessible to attend, as it was broadcast live and for free on the Theatre Arts and Dance homepage once a day from Thursday Nov. 12-Sunday Nov. 15, even offering an alternative time on the final day for those who were unable to attend at the prior 7 p.m. showtimes. Despite the lack of an in-person venue, the performance was able to reach both the local community as well as provide a familiar experience for SSU students who may be quarantined further from campus.

Once America, along with the rest of the world, has managed to overcome the pandemic, whenever that may be, live theatre will eventually find its way back into the spotlight. But until then, the art will be carried on by those like SSU’s Theatre Arts and Dance, reminding everyone to remain connected, however they are able.