Local fraternity donates to breast cancer research

exc-580575618419c2e320b99ad6
exc-580575618419c2e320b99ad6

Breast cancer affects one in eight women in the United States alone according to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, INC.  On Thursday, Alpha Psi held their sixth annual Bouncing for Boobs event on the Person Theater Lawn. 

The men of the fraternity set up a bounce house, a donation spot and a raffle booth. Monster Energy even stopped by to pass out some free drinks.  

“My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago. I knew about breast cancer, but I didn’t think that something like that would hit so close to home” said junior Jacquan Brown, mixer, merchandise and public relations chair for Alpha Psi. Many of the Alpha Psi members have a connection with breast cancer, so the event means a lot to them. 

The up-beat attitude of the men sparked the interest in passing students. There was always a crowd around their tables and people in the bounce house. The members were also passing out pink bracelets they made to show their support for breast cancer. 

All of the money raised goes directly to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, which currently funds over 200 researchers in six continents and 13 countries. 

“Thank you to everyone who came and supported breast cancer awareness. I think it was a fun event for a very great cause. See you all next year,” said Mike Arata, the president of Alpha Psi. 

The men were overjoyed by the turnout this year and could not be more excited for the next Bouncing for Boobs. 

Usually the fraternity membersstay out there for 24 hours. However, due to the stormy weather conditions, they were forced to end the event earlier than planned. 

“We were disappointed we had to end the event early, but we are still happy with how the day went. We could not have done it without the student’s support,” said Max Bieber, the coordinator of Bouncing for Boobs. 

According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation website, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women. Breast cancer is also the second leading cause of cancer death among women. Knowing the facts about breast cancer is important because women all over the world are affected everyday. 

“The statistics are scary. Once I learned how many women are affected, it made me even more passionate. Alpha Psi is driven to raise money to help find a cure,” said Brown. 

Alpha Psi’s donations go straight to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. According to their website, the mission of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation is to prevent and cure breast cancer by advancing the world’s most promising research. Since 1993, the foundation has funded $10,876,960. They are the highest rated breast cancer organization in the United States. 

“One of the reasons I joined Alpha Psi was because of this amazing philanthropy. Breast Cancer Research Foundation has done an incredible job raising money and I wanted to be apart of that,” Bieber said.  

Fraternity members came together with the students on campus to raise money for a charitable cause, and despite ending their event early they managed to raise over $1500.