It’s not your loss if you don’t see ‘The Boss’

exc-570c6d95f699bb9c69493a44
exc-570c6d95f699bb9c69493a44

facebook.com/TheBossMovie“The Boss” took first place in the box office this weekend, earning $23.48 million worldwide.

facebook.com/TheBossMovie
“The Boss” took first place in the box office this weekend, earning $23.48 million worldwide.

Disclaimer: If you are a huge Melissa McCarthy fan, sad news is coming your way. “The Boss,” which came out in theaters Friday, did not live up to its laugh-out-loud expectations.

McCarthy is typically known for her knee-slapping humor, but sadly, the awkward and dry one-liners could not be stopped. The 99-minute comedy, directed and written by Ben Falcone is expected to take in around $23.5 million during its opening weekend. As popular as McCarthy is, “The Boss” might be better off as a Redbox rental than an overpriced movie ticket.

Compared to her other raggedy and foul-mouthed roles, McCarthy’s character, Michelle Darnell, is an uptight, high-class millionaire who unexpectedly goes to jail for insider trading.

After being released from five months in jail, Darnell comes to the realization she has lost everything she had worked hard for, especially her friends. Since she grew up in an orphanage her entire life, Darnell has no support from family when she ends up on the streets. Having nowhere else to go, Darnell desperately asks her previous assistant, Claire, to crash at her place until she gets back on her feet.

Claire, played by actress Kristen Bell, is a single mother who reluctantly agrees to let Darnell stay under one condition; she must help take care of the house and of Claire’s daughter, Rachel. Darnell gets the inspiration for a new money-making opportunity after she takes Rachel to her Dandelions meeting. Instead of selling cookies, Darnell plans to make and sell brownies, to eventually take her and Claire to the top of the business world. Like all cliché endings, Claire ends up meeting a man and moving into a big spacious house in the suburbs. Darnell learns the importance of making friendships and keeping the ones that mean the most close at heart.

McCarthy usually brings her all into her performances, and typically, the audience can expect nothing less than a good time comical relief. Her other movies such as “The Heat,” “Spy,” and “Identity Thief” are known for their lively storylines that involve many characters with constant twists and turns. “The Boss” lacked an intense plot and was quite predictable throughout the entire film. Although the story was easy to follow, I would have appreciated a more mysterious storyline where anything could happen at any point.

Even though the overall plot of the movie was a bit awkward, I enjoyed the acting and portrayal of the characters. When she did have creative and witty lines, McCarthy delivered a hilarious performance that I found myself “LOL’ing” at. Bell’s acting was effortless and enjoyable to watch. Her character Claire represented part of the population that does not have wealth and luxuries handed to them. I found that I could relate to her character and acting skills because of this. Even Ella Anderson, who played Rachel, delivered a favorable job, just at age 11. Despite the amateur scenes and dialog, altogether the acting was pleasant to watch.

The cinematography skills were on point as the graphics, songs and designs tied the boss mentality together.

I was expecting a bit more comedy from “The Boss,” and was disappointed with the cliché ending. Although this wasn’t my favorite McCarthy film, she still is a hilarious actress that will continue to make great comedies.