‘Rogue One’ needs to step out of the trilogies’ shadow

exc-5716b54cc2ea51ff74d1d966
exc-5716b54cc2ea51ff74d1d966

Not so long ago, in a movie theater near you, the unthinkable happened. After years of disappointment and heartaches, we finally got a great Star Wars movie. Episode VII was a return to form for Star Wars. It brought back the awe and wonder of what the original trilogy had as well as offering viewers a glimpse into a new universe, one freed from George Lucas’s grasp.

When Disney first purchased Lucasfilm back in October 2012, they announced that not only would it be delivering a new trilogy to fans, but also making self-contained stories within the entire Star Wars lore. These one-shot movies would be released every other year and fans will get to experience this for the first time later this year.

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” appears to be a departure from anything fans have seen from a Star Wars movie. The teaser trailer surfaced earlier last week, and with it was a change of tone that fans aren’t used to in a Star Wars film. “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” hints to be a grittier and darker story, focusing much more on the ground-war/espionage aspect of the universe.

The movie takes place between episode III and IV and revolves around a team of Rebels that are tasked with stealing the plans to the Death Star. Little else is known about the movie other than Jyn Erso, played by Felicity Jones, is the main character.

As a die hard fan of Star Wars, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” is proving that a Star Wars film doesn’t need to have Jedi in order to be entertaining and thrilling. The Star Wars universe involves more people than just the Jedi and the Sith. What’s really interesting is that since the movie takes place in between III and IV, the Jedi aren’t really known, they’re just a myth. It would be a first for the series to make a movie that doesn’t reference those elements.

The film seems to be introducing things that fans have never thought of. Everyone is used to the Rebel Alliance being an organization bent on freeing the galaxy from the Empire. However, fans have never heard, nor seen, a story in where a fellow rebel rises up against their own. From what little the teaser showed, Jyn Erso seems to despise the Rebel Alliance and has grudges against them. She’s described as reckless, aggressive and undisciplined. What’s mind blowing is that in the final shot of the teaser, she’s seen wearing black imperial armor. Is she a traitor? Or is she just infiltrating the Death Star? These arequestions everyone is dying to know.

Since this is a stand-alone story, there shouldn’t be any shoehorned in references to the new trilogy. Jyn Erso doesn’t need to be Rey’s (the lead in VII) mom or relative. Fans knowthis is a connected universe but the producers don’t have to take it to the extreme. Furthermore, it’s not necessary to mention the Force or the Jedi. This film is about a ragtag team of Rebel experts, let’s keep it that way. There’s no need for someone from the team to either have a lightsaber or be able to use the Force.

What this teaser showed was that the film actually feels like the original movies. It uses the old imagery that fans connect with and refocuses them in new ways. Much like Episode VII, this seems like a breathe of fresh air.