Sonoma State 5K run provides scholarships for undocumented students

exc-5908d1e915d5dbd9434056f4
exc-5908d1e915d5dbd9434056f4

On Saturday Sonoma State University held its first 5k run titled Undocu5K: Educacion sin Fronteras. The 5k run, walk or jog was aimed to raise money that would be donated as scholarships for undocumented students.

The event was hosted by Students for Quality Education and partnered with othercampus organizations including Unite for Reproductive Rights and Gender Equity, Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán, Mujeres Activas en Letras y Cambio Social and the Undocumented Scholars Coalition at Sonoma State.

The 3.1 mile course began at 8:30 a.m. and continued until 11 a.m. with check in beginning at 7:30 a.m. on campus at the Sonoma State Lakes.

All students, children and adults were welcomed to participate in the event. Registration was $15 for children and $25 adults or students before April 27, the fee increased to $30 for later registration. Shirts were also given to all who registered. 

The first Undocu5k was held last year at CSU Long Beach. The event made its way to Sonoma State and was organized by 19-year-old sophomore Briana Rodriguez. Rodriquez is a psychology major with a Spanish minor. She is also the co-chair for Students for Quality Education on campus. 

SQE was established by students to promote and help provide educational rights in higher public education. The purpose of the event was to raise money for scholarships for undocumented students while raising awareness and involving both the students and community.

“I wanted this event to take place at Sonoma State because I want students to feel like they belong here and have every right to pursue their education,” Rodriguez said. “I want this event to become an annual thing so that many other students can continue to get a further education without the financial burden.”

Some of the challenges she faced included getting people involved. Rodriguez expressed her hope for the continuation of the event, and hopes to expand further than simply Sonoma State and CSU Long Beach.

“[Undocumented students] deserve to have the opportunity to come here with financial aid and support from other students.” says Kylie Walker.

Sophomore Kylie Walker, president of URGE helped with bringing the run to Sonoma State. Walker, a 20-year-old double majoring in English and women’s and gender studies, attended a conference at CSU Long Beach during the time of the original event. 

After seeing the event and what it involved, Walker believed a 5K run would be the perfect event to organize at Sonoma State. Walker explained that she believes this is a crucial time to protect our undocumented students, and feels this event is a step in the right direction.

For anyone interested in finding out more about the Undocu5K run,   how to donate to the cause or about the scholarships that will be offered as a result visit bf5k.weebly.com