Bands whose lives were cut too short

The past few months the music world has lost a lot of spectacular performers, especially throughout the different genres of rock. From David Bowie and Glenn Frey, to Scott Weiland and Lemmy Kilmister, each and every singer left an impact that cannot be replicated nor replaced. 

With the most recent passing of Prince on April 21, it has left all music fans saddened and stunned with yet another loss of an all-time great. Everybody’s familiar with the legendary bands like Led Zeppelin and Nirvana that disbanded after the deaths of John Bonham and Kurt Cobain, but there are countless other groups that had something different to offer in terms of music, but whose time was sadly cut short.

Blind Melon: This band first gained popularity during a time when those who were infatuated by music would find their inspiration by habitually watching MTV. Their biggest hit, “No Rain” and the music video of the chubby girl in the bee costume are what fans remember most. Although, ever since lead singer Shannon Hoon’s overdose in 1995, the bee costume is the last thing fans are left with. 

“No Rain” is a relatable and curious introspective that is no longer played in the constant rotation it once was, but can still be heard on radio stations today. The artistry and creativity Hoon brought to Blind Melon has always been a spectacle. 

The band possessed a very soothing feel, but was tossed in with the rest of the alternative bands given the time they hit the scene. The passing of Hoon prevented Blind Melon from having the impact bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden had. 

The Germs: The Germs completely rattled the West Coast punk rock scene when they first formed in 1977. One of the most influential bands to come out of Los Angeles at that time, the band’s stage performance and antics were even more thrashing and intense than other bands at that time. Their concerts were filled with chaos as lead singer Darby Crash would frequently come out onstage incredibly high, oftentimes arguing with the audience, breaking bottles and rolling around in the glass. 

In 1980 he and his then girlfriend formed a suicide pact. His girlfriend survived but Crash wasn’t so fortunate. Their only album, “(GI)” came out in 1979, just a year prior to Crash’s death. The Germs had all the prowess to take after Iggy Pop, the Ramones and the Sex Pistols; however, much like Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols, Darby Crash wanted to live and die young as a cultural icon of the punk rock world. 

The death of Crash was also completely overshadowed. The band’s influence was felt by many L.A. bands that came after them, including Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1983 and Jane’s Addiction in 1985. The group has never been able to reclaim any permanent success since the death of Crash.

Beastie Boys: The Beastie Boys have left their mark as one of the longest tenured and most influential hip–hop groups of all time. The 30-plus year career for the trio from New York was filled with countless classic anthems. Songs like “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party),” “No Sleep Till Brooklyn” and “So What’Cha Want” each possessed musical influences that could be enjoyed by all people no matter what racial or cultural class you belonged in. 

The group not only crossed boundaries with a mix of rock and hip-hop, but they crossed boundaries with their fashion and all around artistry. As three Jewish white- boys from New York City, no other group was taking the musical risks they were. They were able to evolve from an anomaly of musicians who loved being wild, to incredibly talented artists. After Adam “MCA” Yauch lost his three year battle with cancer in 2012, the group decided they would no longer perform as the Beastie Boys out of respect for Yauch.