Families reunite during Family Weekend

exc-5bcfcd75e79c7033756a0d46
exc-5bcfcd75e79c7033756a0d46

Sonoma State University held its annual Family Weekend Oct. 19 through 21, where many families traveled to Rohnert Park to visit their college student and to see what Sonoma State had in store for them. This weekend included a variety of events, such as a public viewing night at our very own observatory, a frozen yogurt social, and even a brunch with President Judy Sakaki to welcome the families to the school. 

In the past, this fun-filled weekend was hosted by Student Affairs, but the Orientation and Family Programming Department has now taken over. They were supposed to put on the event last year, but due to the fires, they had to cancel. With that being said, this is the department’s first year putting on the event and everything went smoothly.

“Family Weekend was a huge success and it was really fun for our department to plan everything,” said staff member Mimi Peterson. “It was awesome to welcome all the families back to campus and put on cool events for them and their students. We really enjoyed all the campus collaboration too, reaching out to different departments to see if they would be able to offer things was very rewarding.”

While families may not have been able to make it to every event, there were definitely many options available, including a frozen yogurt  social hosted by local business Swirl Time on Saturday Oct. 20.

Many benefits were included with signing up for the weekend as well, including special Family Weekend swag and access to the Recreation Center and the Kitchens. Registration was $35 for adults and $15 for children ages 5-14, with brunch with the president being an extra $25 per ticket. 

Families were walking around all weekend, getting to know the campus and spending time together. Parents were extremely excited to see their children and learn more about what they’re doing at school. 

“This is the first family weekend we’ve been to and it’s been great so far. Last year it got cancelled because of the fires, so it’s nice to finally experience it,” said parents Monica and Stuart McIntyre. “We love coming up to visit our son because he doesn’t get to come home often, and it’s beautiful up here in wine country, so that’s a plus.”

Students were also excited to welcome their families and show them around. Leaving home and going to college can be difficult to adjust to for most, so when family comes to visit, you’re able to feel a little more at home. For those who aren’t local, it’s also an opportunity to show your family around Rohnert Park and let them in on what your new home is like. 

“I love Sonoma State so far, but I’m really glad my parents were able to come up from San Luis Obispo to visit me this weekend,” said freshman Jordyn Bauer. “Being away from home is hard at times, so it was really cool being able to show them my dorm and introduce them to my new friends.”

Overall, it seems like everyone had a great time at Family Weekend and appreciated the events put on by the school. With so many families coming to visit the campus, it was successful and Sonoma State will continue to plan this weekend every year for students and their loved ones to enjoy.