ASP hosts festive bowling night

exc-5c106f62f950b79e77d4e262
exc-5c106f62f950b79e77d4e262

Taking a break from the stress and anxieties of finals is important for students and their mental health. Fortunately, Associate Student Productions (ASP) held their last free bowling night of the semester at Double Decker Lanes, on Thursday, Dec. 6 from 10 p.m. to 12 a.m. 

The theme of the night was “Ugly Sweater,” which celebrated the holiday season and gave students the chance to look their best while wearing their worst. 

ASP hosts free bowling on the first Thursday of every month. The only thing students need to participate is their SSU Student ID.

Alexis Martinez, sophomore Pre-Nursing major, took a break from studying and came with her roommates. “I hadn’t been to a bowling night since probably the beginning of my freshman year. I forgot how fun they were. My roommates and I played a few games and then finished the night with some air hockey,” Martinez said. 

For many students, whether first year or graduating, each free bowling night is a chance to do something off campus that’s different. Smaller groups of students get matched up with other small groups, as well as singles, to share lanes. 

Andrew Abrahamian, sophomore Business major, complimented ASP for a great and successful event. “This is such a good idea … it’s important for students to feel like they have alternative options for activities to do off campus since many freshman students don’t always have the opportunity or access to leave campus,” said Abrahamian. 

ASP created groups ranging in size anywhere from four to eight. This allowed students the chance to meet and hang out with people they might not have encountered otherwise.    Within the first 20 minutes, there were already roughly 200 students bowling. 

Double Decker Lanes has hosted this event for Sonoma State students for many years now and the popularity has remained steady. Over the years students have raved about the arcade games and snack bar.

The bowling alley shuts down all outside business for the students around 9:30 p.m., allowing time for ASP to clean and get everything prepared for the students.

Once they open the doors, students are greeted with music videos playing on large projectors that are on display above the pins located on every other lane. Videos and songs include anything from Britney Spears to Migos, covering all the bases for favorite genres of students. 

One downside about these bowling nights is how long the lines get, and how cold it is while standing out there. Helen Campbell, senior majoring in Applied Statistics and American Multi-Cultural Studies, gave insight as to her experiences and what she’s learned. “Over the years I’ve noticed that you either need to get there an hour before bowling starts or half an hour late. Even if you aren’t the best bowler or would rather prefer to hang out and watch, it’s fun seeing everybody cut loose. But let’s be honest, it feels pretty nice to get a strike!” Campbell said.

Depending on the time of year, people wait in sub-40 degree weather for more than an hour, just to get a guaranteed lane for them and their friends.

If you’re able to get to the bowling alley early or on time, you’ll get first dibs on the 50 lanes.