Seawolves SPEAK!: “What is your ideal Valentine’s Day date?”

exc-5c63930e15fcc0787c195863
exc-5c63930e15fcc0787c195863

Valentine’s Day is this week and it most likely won’t be like the Valentine’s Day enjoyed in elementary school. 

In elementary school, Valentine’s Day was one of the most anticipated days of the school year. Everyone came to school decked out in pink and red, spending so much time perfecting the decorations on their Valentine’s box, all the while knowing that soon all the candy and desserts they can think of will be theirs.

The best part of the day was not just the collection of candy, but came when everyone got to exchange Valentine’s with everyone else in the class. More than likely, everyone left school with a pink and red box filled with candy and sweet notes from their classmates. 

Disappointingly, Valentine’s Day isn’t celebrated that way at Sonoma State University. It’s not as socially acceptable or financially responsible for adults and college students to bring Valentine’s for the entirety of each and every one of their classes. 

However, adults and college students are able to make their own plans for the special day.

Traditionally, Valentine’s Day is meant for two people to express their love for each other by presenting flowers and notes signed “Your Valentine”. 

However, Valentine’s Day isn’t just for couples anymore. Galentine’s Day, a holiday created by fictional character Leslie Knope of the television series “Parks and Recreation” to celebrate female friendship, has gained traction. Galentine’s Day is even giving Valentine’s Day and run for its money on social media and gift possibilities, according to The Atlantic. 

Whether it’s spending the day with someone special or some friends, there are always ways to celebrate.

With Valentine’s Day this Thursday, most students and faculty will be stuck in class making it hard to celebrate with those they love and cherish. Nonetheless, most people already have an idea of what a perfect Valentine’s Day will look for them. 

Some ideas include a fancy dinner date with someone special or a movie night with friends.  

For inspiration on how to celebrate Valentine’s Day, here are some students and faculty sharing what their ideal Valentine’s Day date is.

“Spending Valentine’s Day with someone I truly love and she loves me and we accept each other for who we are and we go out and have a good time.”-David Macias, Business Department Accounting Professor

“Spending Valentine’s Day with someone I truly love and she loves me and we accept each other for who we are and we go out and have a good time.”

-David Macias, Business Department Accounting Professor

“A nice long couples massage, just relax and then end the day by going to a sushi dinner.”-Karina Dulberg, junior,Wine Business major

“A nice long couples massage, just relax and then end the day by going to a sushi dinner.”

-Karina Dulberg, junior,

Wine Business major

“Spending the weekend in Big Sur.”-Cole Monroy, freshman,Undeclared

“Spending the weekend in Big Sur.”

-Cole Monroy, freshman,

Undeclared

“I would love to go on a hike at Annadel State Park and then go sparkling wine tasting around Napa, then end the day with some fire Mexican food.”-Gabi Degen-Nosek, senior,Communications major

“I would love to go on a hike at Annadel State Park and then go sparkling wine tasting around Napa, then end the day with some fire Mexican food.”

-Gabi Degen-Nosek, senior,

Communications major

“Taking a lovely gal to a great dinner in San Francisco and then take her dancing after.”-Andy Oh, freshman,Kinesiology major

“Taking a lovely gal to a great dinner in San Francisco and then take her dancing after.”

-Andy Oh, freshman,

Kinesiology major

“Going to the lake on campus and setting up a picnic blanket with candles and eating sushi.”                                 -Nina Potts, sophomore,                                 Computer Science major

“Going to the lake on campus and setting up a picnic blanket with candles and eating sushi.”

-Nina Potts, sophomore,

Computer Science major