Alex Trebek dies at age 80

exc-5fb47ec850e160304c8c92c8
exc-5fb47ec850e160304c8c92c8

In March 2019, Alex Trebek came forward to the public about his diagnosis with stage four pancreatic cancer, and since then, support has continued for the 80-year-old “Jeopardy!” host. Despite the well wishes, treatments, and a hard-fought battle, Trebek passed away on Nov. 8. This comes as a shock for the “Jeopardy!” family, though his legacy will live on. His final episode will air on Dec. 25, which was a final wish from Trebek.

Trebek - Instagram.png

“Just like 50,000 other people in the United States each year, this week I was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Now, normally, the prognosis for this is not very encouraging, but I’m going to fight this, and I’m going to keep working, and with the love and support of my family and friends — and with the help of your prayers, also — I plan to beat the low survival-rate statistics for this disease,” Trebek stated when he was first diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 20 months ago. 

With this announcement, Trebek fought for months, including working through multiple chemotherapy treatments. Moving from treatment to treatment while writing his own memoir, entitled “The Answer Is … Reflections on My Life”. The book released on July 21, and quickly became a New York Best Seller as the world gripped onto this for hope. Inside, readers were surprised to hear about the struggles he was going through. Trebek mentioned his fatigue and struggles, and the book was written in the midst of a failing treatment he explained on the “Jeopardy!” Twitter. 

The tweet from Trebek featured an image with the message, “I feel the need to clarify my quote that, if my course of cancer treatment does not continue to work, I would consider stopping treatment. That quote from the book was written BEFORE my current regimen, and I was going through some bad times. My current numbers are very good, but we will have to be patient with this new immunotherapy program that I am on. But, if it were to stop being successful, I would return to my previous chemo treatment — NOT stop all treatment. I apologize for any confusion, and want everyone to know that I am optimistic about my current plan, and thank them for their concerns.”, 

With his book published, Trebek continued to host “Jeopardy!”, and millions followed the beloved host and hoped for the best. Despite changing treatments and continuing to fight, his health continued to decline. In a comment to the New York Times, Trebek mentioned the pain this disease was causing him. “‘I feel like I want to die.’ There comes a time where you have to make a decision as to whether you want to continue with such a low quality of life, or whether you want to just ease yourself into the next level,” Trebek explained.

Throughout 30 long years as the host of “Jeopardy!”, Trebek remained a knowledgeable man that captivated audiences everywhere. It was a shock to many when the following tweet ended up on the home page and trending bar only a day after the election was called. 

“Jeopardy! is saddened to share that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home early this morning, surrounded by family and friends. Thank you, Alex.” Read a tweet from the “Jeopardy!” team.

Alex Trebek helped to create a strong community and to that, we here at the STAR newspaper thank him for his work and send condolences to his family. 35 episodes remain to be aired, each one airing up to Dec. 25, Christmas Day, 7 p.m. every night on ABC.