Listening and speaking up: Black Student Voices

Amanda Luckett speaking at the Black Student Voices Project on Feb. 15.

To celebrate and amplify Black perspectives, HUB Cultural Center and SSU Common Read committee hosted a reception for the Black Student Voices Project in Ballroom B of the Student Center Wednesday 12-1 p.m. Ten students responded to: “What has been your experience being Black at SSU?” Their quotes plus more were displayed so attendees could discuss them.

Black History Month brings up reflections on the past and how things are, but also the strides toward a better future. Interim Manager of the HUB Cultural Center, Tramaine Austin-Dillon wondered: “Why is BHM the shortest month of the year!?”. HUB Programming Student Assistant Olivia Blades said BHM “has always been positive for me. Yes, slavery was a part of it, but it isn’t ALL of Black History. There’s joy, love, happiness.”  

At Wednesday’s event, Jomei Greer of the SSU Jazz Ensemble kicked things off with a piano performance. Faculty and students shared their stories with the room. Austin-Dillon, EOP Advisor Andre Bailey, and former Outreach Coordinator for the Academic Talent Search Program Ivona Williams shared their alumni experience and the community they built here. Blades and Black Student Union (BSU) co-president Amanda Luckett elaborated on their quotes they contributed. 

Many of the quotes on display had a common theme of unity and support that organizations like HUB and BSU offer. Camille Johnson shared: “I’ve found a great community within BSU.” Jeremiah Kitavi said there are “A lot of great people on campus. I just wish we had more Black unity.”

According to SSU’s website, 3% of the students that attend are Black/African American. Blades identified “that creates a whole ton of challenges trying to find other Black people, and if you did, whether those Black people even like Black people. Dealing with going out and people saying the N-word at a party, being ostracized.”
Williams highlighted the positives of Sonoma which make students want to apply, like an intimate campus and beautiful environment. She encouraged students to bring what’s culturally lacking over to campus from other places. “We would do that, you know? Maya Angelou has been on campus, Cornel West has been on campus, and various reggae artists have been on campus.”

Williams continued: “That’s what an institution of higher education is all about. Bringing in a diverse group of activities to build the richness of the education experience.” Williams shared that when she attended SSU “I would share my cultural experiences with my professors because a lot of them had these misconceptions about who we are as people.” She found that cross-cultural communication helped everybody be better and more aware.

Williams said “BHM is a month for awareness. You should always remember your past because it points to your future.” In terms of Sonoma’s support of black students, Williams praised SSU’s BHM events, and HUB, as well as “putting on programming that is specifically geared towards black students.”

Luckett’s quote at Wednesday’s event read “Seas of white, islands of Black, no bridges, no boats, construction in progress.” By her and everyone else’s willingness to be vulnerable, that construction advances more and more.