Late night at Lobos livens Sonoma State

exc-5d6f177b24a0c5000102f87f
exc-5d6f177b24a0c5000102f87f

Friday nights around Sonoma State University’s campus could seem dull to some individuals at a first glance. The restaurant and pub on campus known as Lobos is trying to change that. Lobos invites students to attend their weekly Friday night Late Night Lobos.

“Every Friday night we have games or karaoke and activities for anyone who lives on campus or that goes to school here,” said Jenna Lapuyad from student involvement.

Lobos is located on the first floor of the Student Center and is Sonoma State’s pub and fast-paced restaurant. They specialize in pizza, sandwiches, nachos, mozzarella sticks, and much more for a wide variety for students to choose from. The large spacious indoor seating and outside patio makes Lobos the perfect destination for students to meet up for a bite to eat or a beer. 

“I love going to Lobos between classes during the week. It is a good way to kill time between classes and catch up with friends over nachos,” said junior Maisy Thao.  

The event goes from 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. almost every Friday of the school year. Last week’s Late Night Lobos was cancelled for Labor Day weekend but advertised to still be going on via Seawolf Living. This caused some students and faculty to arrive to Lobos just to find the doors locked and the chef on his way home. 

“Last night was the very first Lobos Late Night of the semester. Unfortunately due to miscommunication, the event was canceled because of the holiday weekend. This should have been planned better because as a result students were turned away,” said Seawolf Living’s Cameron Monroy.

Late Night Lobos offers a space on campus for students to come together and hang out in a safe and friendly environment. Students are able to mingle and make new friends. This is a great opportunity for freshmen to bond with their new roommates and fellow Seawolves. 

“I used to go to Late Night Lobos as a freshman with my roommates and it was a good way to get us out of our dorms and meet new people,” said senior Lexi Macario. “I saw an advertisement for Late Night Lobos last week and I thought it would be fun to grab some nachos and do some karaoke or play some games like my roommates and I use to. It’s sad that it did not end up happening this weekend.”

Late Night Lobos varies their activities provided each week. This last week was initially intended to be a game night including Bingo, Jenga, Connect Four, Apples to Apples and more. The next Late Night Lobos is scheduled to take place on Fri., Sept. 6. The activity for this week will be karaoke. 

Every fifth Friday, Late Night Lobos offers free pizza to those who participate in the evening’s events. On those Fridays where the free pizza is not provided; Lobos still offers their late night menu for a change of flavors for those tired of nachos and mozzarella sticks. This menu includes: quesadillas, carnitas tostadas, gochujang fried chicken rice bowl, chana masala rice bowl, black angus burger, and the maika veggie burger. All of these can be found after 4 p.m. on weekdays. For those still wanting Lobos’ regular menu, it is still offered at this time as well. 

Student Involvement also holds movie nights every Saturday in Ives 101 and invites students to end their evening with DIY crafts and art projects.