Associated Students pulls out the big guns with Waka Flocka

exc-5731588059827eed29968c84
exc-5731588059827eed29968c84

facebook.com/WakaFlocka

Rapper Waka Flocka Flame is set to perform at Associated Student Productions’ Spring Fling on May 13.

Sonoma State University Associated Student Productions has been working endlessly to provide students with the best Spring Fling yet. Following up last year’s Spring Fling that featured rap artist IamSu, this year ASP is stepping up their game. Top-charting artist Waka Flocka Flame is scheduled to perform at the annual Spring Fling on May 13 in the Student Center Ballroom.

ASP decided to release the tickets in portions this year. Last Monday, about 300 tickets were made available and yesterday another 600 were released. 

“We chose to release on two dates at different times in order to allow for a greater amount of students to be able to get free tickets,” said Shaina Pacitto, a member of ASP.

Students are excited for a well-known artist to be performing at the last event for this school year. 

“It’s so awesome that we are able to get such large performers come to Spring Fling,” said freshman Ashley De Ruyter. “I couldn’t think of a better way to have a break right before finals and to end this school year.”

A lot of work went into planning and executing this event and ASP spent countless hours trying to make this the highlight of everyone’s school year. 

“We have been planning this event for about six months,” said Pacitto. “There is a lot of preparation in creating and following through with any of our events that we put on, especially Spring Fling.”

Waka Flocka Flame is well known for songs such as “No Hands” and “O Lets Do It.” His top-charting songs made it easy for students to show ASP their interest in having him perform on campus. A few months ago, ASP put out surveys for students to take on what artist they would like to see on campus. Waka Flocka Flame received a lot of feedback from students who wanted to see him live.

“We wanted to make this year’s Spring Fling bigger and better quality than it has been in the past,” added Pacitto. “We really wanted to get the student voice in who we brought, we surveyed many students and ended up with a big list of over twenty possible artists and finalized with Waka Flocka Flame.”

Students are passionate about the fact that ASP is taking their opinions to heart and getting performers that they are excited about. Although it takes a lot of work for ASP, it makes it worth it for a sold out Spring Fling and a great reaction from students.

“I think it’s really cool that ASP is taking student opinions and actually following through with getting the performers we want to see here,” said junior ReyRey Palop. “I’m so excited to see Waka Flocka perform and it makes it so much better that it’s right here on campus.”

Last year’s Spring Fling, featuring IamSu, sold out within a few hours. So this year with a great artist, tickets were bound to sell out just as fast. Students lined up hours before they went on sale just to verify that they could obtain their free ticket at the Information and Ticket desk.

Spring Fling is scheduled to take place at 9 p.m. on May 13 in the Student Center Ballroom. Tickets were free and only available to Sonoma State students.