Emergency Leadership Retreat comes to campus

It is always a good day to become a leader at Sonoma State University. The Emerging Leader Retreat is a two day overnight leadership retreat that is designed to get students acclimated to their campus resources and get their leadership journey started on campus. On Sept. 21, there will be an overnight retreat that some students will be able to attend in the Alliance Redwoods from 2 p.m. Sat., Sept. 21 to 4 p.m. Sun., Sept. 22.

This event is intended to have Seawolves come together, learn, bond, and create long lasting memories with the rest of the students and staff that will be attending.

There is limited space for the amount of students that could attend the retreat. This year Associated Students will only be taking 35 students and will be offering spots available on a first come first serve basis. 

Marina Briones, who works for Student Involvement as an event coordinator, is the lead coordinator of the Emerging Leader Retreat and has been working with other students and staff to make this retreat possible. The main goal of this retreat  is to give students the opportunity to get involved on campus and work alongside other students to become excellent leaders. 

“Through peer-to-peer interactions, students will leave with at least one personal connection that they can take away from the experience. At the end of the retreat, students will leave knowing and understanding at least 5 other resources/offices/departments on campus that can further their leadership development at SSU by creating a leadership action plan and most importantly have fun,” said Briones. 

Mo Phillips works for the Student Involvement and has also been proactive with the planning of this retreat.

“Emerging Leaders are students who are new to campus, transfer students, or second year students, that are looking to get involved. It is intended for these students to be surrounded by people who are interested in the same things and there will be opportunities for them to get involved,” said Phillips.

Student Involvement wants to make sure seawolves all around campus find their place on campus and make Sonoma State their home away from home. 

“This is the beginning to things. The Emerging Leader Retreat will happen in the Fall. Students will be learning about internship and graduate school opportunities. It is a matter of taking advantage when you look into how you want to get involved. Taking advantage of these opportunities is important,” said Phillips. 

There are Seawolves that will run student lead discussions and workshops to help fellow peers with the desire of getting involved the same way those seawolves did. 

Nicole Rivera is a third year undeclared student that will be leading student led discussions at the event and talk about her path to becoming a leader and being part of the Sonoma State community.

“Last year there was a retreat. When I first started college, I did not know how to get involved, and this was a good way to get involved, which is why im participtaing this year,” said Rivera. 

Although this Emerging Leader Retreat will only happen during the Fall semester there will be other events and workshops that can help Seawolves get involved. 

“We are creating a new series called “Seawolves Lead” in which several different leadership opportunities will be open to those interested in learning more about leadership and their own leadership journeys. This is being developed now and will be kicked off with our Emerging Leaders Retreat. Keep an eye out for several workshops and other retreat opportunities to come,” said Briones. 

This is the beginning of a journey as leaders for many of the student attendees. This retreat has been promoted all throughout different departments on campus to get a wide variety of Seawolves from different backgrounds. Student Involvement will also continue to create a welcoming environment for students and staff. 

“I want students to feel like they have a purpose and a sense of belonging at Sonoma State University,” said Briones. 

If Seawolves are looking to get involved and want to sign up for this retreat, applications are still open on Seawolf Living and they will continue to take students on a first come first serve basis.