Organization Spotlight: Epsilon Sigma Rho

exc-5da6662a456b313d86c3bd01
exc-5da6662a456b313d86c3bd01

Sonoma State University is home to many organizations to provide students with different communities and outreaches, but one in particular that stands out is one fraternity in the Multicultural Sorority and Fraternity organizations. Epsilon Sigma Rho is home to many brothers from Sonoma State, who strive to build excellence and maturity in men. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 11.42.25 AM.png

This fraternity is the first multicultural-based collegiate fraternity to be founded in the US. Epsilon Sigma Rho surrounds each other with kind and respectful men, who take their education very seriously, as stated on their website. Epsilon Sigma Rho is guided by the three principles of their founding fathers: education, strength, and respect, to be able to spread cultural awareness to others. They go out of their way to understand the world, they build strength through diversity, and focus on respecting everyone. It is their philosophy to spread multicultural awareness to as many people as possible. 

Epsilon Sigma Rho’s rush process normally takes place within the first week of the school semester, with dates and details on their instagram account at ssu_rhodawgs, and on their facebook at ssurhodawgs. They learn about other cultures and ways of life to expand their knowledge of the world and have an open mind. One could join to make a wide network of connections, forge close bonds with brothers, learn about cultures everywhere, and feel improvement within oneself. Each member is given the chance to challenge oneself with opportunities to lead and grow with their brothers. 

Sigma Rho is proud to share that they have adopted The Fight Against Cancer as their official philanthropy. These men want to educate people about treatment and prevention of this disease.

Prostate cancer is an often misunderstood and largely under publicized disease that affects 180,000 men a year. All men can potentially suffer and even die from this disease, so it is the fraternity’s mission to help educate others about this disease. The brothers achieve this by participating in and hosting events like volleyball tournaments, community informationals, and charitable events, as noted on their fraternity website. 

The Multicultural Sorority and Fraternity chapters seek to promote the general welfare and support the diversity of all students in the community and beyond, noted on the Sonoma State website. With four sororities and three fraternities, each chapter is founded upon the principles of culture and creating opportunities for its members. Each organization offers an experience for students to gain empowerment, including promoting awareness, partaking in  programs, and learning about positive social change. Each fraternity and sorority conducts their own intake process separately, so times and vary by chapter, with more details that can be found on each chapter’s social media. 

If you’re looking for a fraternity that celebrates cultural diversity and has strong moral values, Epsilon Sigma Rho could be a good place to start