Show off your talent at ASP Open Mic Night

exc-5da6689739dcd74e28c9d36b
exc-5da6689739dcd74e28c9d36b

Have a hidden skill that you want to show off? Enjoy great food? If so, head over to Sonoma State University’s Lobos for Open Mic Night on Wed., Oct. 16 from 7:30 p.m.-9 p.m..

On the first and third Wednesday of every month, Associated Students Productions hosts their very own Open Mic Night. Absolutely anyone and any talent is welcome.

ASP is Sonoma State’s number one source for on and off campus events. They offer a variety of fun activities and programs, such as wild cat shows, free bowling nights, comedy shows, films, and many more. Run by students, ASP makes an extreme effort to ensure that there is an event for everyone. 

With almost 9,000 undergraduate students, Sonoma State is filled with a variety of different people, all comprised of different talents and abilities. ASP’s Open Mic Night gives students the chance to lay their cards out on the table and have a little fun.

At Open Mic Night, music majors like Eytan Jinich love playing their instruments and expressing what they love most.

“Open Mic Night has been a way for me to bring my passion of music into the Sonoma State community. It is special to have an event where everyone comes together and is able to share their talents and practice in front of a very nice audience,” said Jinich.

Not only does Jinich sing, but he also plays guitar and piano. In the past, he has covered songs by several different artists, including John Mayer. Jinich has also used Open Mic Night as a way of showcasing original pieces.

Being able to attend an event that allows for a safe place of expression can be hard to find. Lobos Open Mic Night provides students with this opportunity.

Aside from the countless musicians and singers playing their hearts out at this event, are amusing and humorous comedians. Some students prepare their skits, while others come in and improv, completely cracking up the crowd.

“I’ve never really been big on crowds or large social events, so when I first heard about Open Mic Night I had some reservations,” said Sonoma State student Jacob Brown. “I was a little shocked at how quickly I took to the setting. I’m an art major and so of course I love the idea of seeing new art. I’ve been to a number of art shows and it didn’t cross my mind until I was at SSU’s Open Mic, that a live performance of unrecognized musicians can give me the same thing I look for at a gallery. I highly recommend spending a couple minutes and see what your fellow students have to offer.” 

Aside from music and comedy skits, other students read their heartfelt poems aloud to the audience. One can expect a wide range of poetry, from theatrical to slam. 

Another talent featured at Open Mic Night is magic. Students are welcome to bring a deck of cards and show the audience a few tricks they may have up their sleeves.

“I have attended a few Open Mic Nights at Lobos. It was cool to see students share their talents on stage and receive so much support back. From comedy to original songs, open mic night is full of talent and surprises,” said Michelle Villasenor, Sonoma State senior. “I was able to see friends perform and really let loose.”

An event like this gives students the perfect opportunity for a little break from studying and homework. Sonoma State’s on-campus restaurant and pub, Lobos, offers tons of great food and drink options to enjoy.

If interested in performing, students are urged to get there at 7:30 p.m. to sign up. It is first come first serve. Performances begin at 8 p.m. and students are welcome to come in and out throughout the night. 

Come out and support your fellow Seawolves Wed., Oct. 16.