Club Spotlight: Math Club

exc-5e260b296208476247cdb605
exc-5e260b296208476247cdb605

College is meant for new experiences and to learn not only from classes, but from Sonoma State University as a community. Clubs on campus make it easy to get students involved socially, as well as support students in their education. A great example of one of the many clubs on campus is Math Club. Math Club meets every Thurs. in Darwin Hall room 109 at 12 p.m

“I joined math club as a way to distract myself from school. It brought a fun approach to my major and allowed me to meet with people who have common interests as me” said Junior math major Mikayla Glen. 

Math Club also invites students to join them for Prime Pizza Thursday’s. Every prime-numbered-date Thursday they will provide pizza for their members. 

“My major is math with concentration in secondary teaching. I enjoy Math Club because it allows for me to meet with other people who are similar to me academically. And also for Prime Pizza Thursdays” said Glen. 

Choosing to take on mathematics as a major is a very hard, but rewarding experience for students. With all of the time and energy spent on just learning the material, Math Club encourages these students to break out of their study space for a little excitement and have fun. 

Another way the Math Club encourages students to take a break from their classes and is to attend an all expenses paid for camping trip that is hosted by the club each semester for all members that are interested in attending. Last month, the Math Club went to Lake Siskiyou Resort & Camp for a weekend of bonding and a break from classes. 

The club also takes part in celebrating “Pi Day”, the date of March 14 in honor of the all important number of pi, 3.14. The members of the club put on activities all week and end the week with a “Pi a Professor” fundraiser. This allows all students on campus to donate and have the opportunity to pie a professor in the face. The majority of professors are from the math department but there have also been special guests who indulge in the fun.

The Math Club also teamed up with Adventure Creation this past Sept. and invited students to attend “Pizza and Parkour”. This event involved; trampolines, balance beams, bars, rock walls, warp walls, ninja rack, spring floor, foam logs, ropes, and more. The event was $10 for admissions and provided pizza upon arrival. The event was open for all students and their friends to experience. 

Math Club invites students of all grade levels and majors to join. The club meets weekly and is a great way to meet new students interested in the same fields of study. 

“I joined Math Club as a member my first semster sophomore year” said junior math major  Malina Mottos. “One of the officers of the club was in my class and suggested I come check it out. My favorite part of being apart of the club is meeting new and different people in the math and statistics major and department.”

According to the total amount of graduates based on schools in 2018 on the Sonoma State University website; the math major had 15 students graduate with a degree. Following with five students in statistics and only one student in applied statistics. Math Club allows for students to create a small community with other students who share common interests. 

“I am Treasure of Pi Mu Epsilon —  Math Honor Society. There are two officers for Math Club and two officers for Pi Mu. We do everything together for Math Club” said Mottos. “There are no requirements to join Math Club, you don’t even need to be a math or stats major, we accept anyone and there are no dues to be apart of the club.”

To get involved, students are invited to any of the Thursday meetings. Meetings and events will be posted on the Math Club’s Instagram, @ssumathclub.