Dia De Los Muertos day event cancelled

exc-5e260c719b35240322981fc6
exc-5e260c719b35240322981fc6

The Dia de los Muertos Festival at Sonoma State University is thrown by ladies of Sigma Pi Alpha Sorority, who welcomes Seawolf’s to come and enjoy. This event, which was originally scheduled for Thurs., Oct. 31, would have been celebrated with music, activities, and more. Located in Ballroom A of the Student Center, this event would have been provided to students from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. 

“Dia de los Muertos is more than just painting skulls or dressing up like one, it is a culture and a way to give back to those who have passed. Instead of looking at the sadness or death it is a celebration of their life,” says member of Sigma Pi Alpha Devita Diaz. 

Free of charge and open to the public, the Dia de los Muertos Festival is full of fun and enjoyment. Tables for activities were planned to be set up, which included themed snacks, arts, crafts, and altar displays. This was going to incorporate painting and drawing of Mexican traditions, such as papel picado and decorated altars. Students can also create their own altar to honor their loved one, as well as take home their very own crafted sugar skull. A short presentation about Dia de los Muertos was set to be shown at this event. 

The women of Sigma Pi Alpha are excited to share this event with Seawolves, and are ready to fully embrace The Day of the Dead. This event is a great way for students to embark on a cultural experience, and learn about this tradition. This spiritual festival is a great outlet for students and faculty to feel at home, and be able to express their culture in an easy and fun manner. 

“This event not only brings us together but it helps us celebrate our culture at school,” says Treasurer of Sigma Pi Alpha Brenda Escutia Calderon.

The Day of the Dead is a mexican holiday celebrated by people of Mexican heritage, involving the gathering of friends and family to remember lost ones, and guide them on their spiritual journey. It is viewed not as a day of sadness but as a day of celebration with loved ones who awake and join the celebration, as it is their natural human cycle. 

“This event is a wonderful way for everyone who can go to come and learn more about Mexican culture and take part in honoring our loved ones who’ve passed,” says Sigma Pi Alpha member Jessica Martinez.

Sigma Pi Alpha welcomed students and the faculty to this event, as a way of bringing the community together during this holiday. Sigma Pi Alpha, a sorority that was founded in 1996, was created so women can create a close network of latinas who want to make a difference in the communities within themselves. Their chapter enables women to embrace their heritage, create sisterhoods, engage in campus, get involved, and to receive support and commitment that will last a lifetime. Outside of the campus life, these women are also involved in political and social issues that directly affect the Latino community, as noted on their national sorority website. 

“I wanted to connect further with my roots and heritage to represent who I am and where I came from, and that’s where I found Sigma Pi Alpha,” says Sigma Pi Alpha member Karla Gallo.