SHAC Puppy Play Day helps students relax

The Student Health Activities Club/Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) sponsored Doggy Play Day on Nov., 16 2019. Students were invited to de-stress from their world and come cuddle up with some friendly pups on Sonoma State University’s campus. Once a month, SHAC brings therapy dogs to campus for the students to destress and relieve any outside pressure, while enjoying some playful time with pleasant animals.

“SHAC’s Puppy Play Day is a wonderful opportunity for students to take a break from the enduring academic and professional world, and destress with therapy dogs,” says Vice Chair of The Student Health Advisory Committee, Cameron Kaiser.

From 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., students and members of the community were given the opportunity to meet some new friendly dogs. Many students were in attendance, as well as parents coming with their children to enjoy the surrounding campus. People from all over the community were excited to spend a few hours with some welcoming paws and enjoy the sunshine.

Many dogs were in attendance for this wonderful event, as well as their owners who were very welcoming to students and the community. Therapy dogs of all breeds and personalities were enjoying the campus and spending time with students this past Saturday. Many dogs, including outgoing ones like Mischief, a French Bulldog who loved to climb up on fellow Seawolves, and Tai, a Golden Retriever who was very calm but excited to see fresh faces.

“All of the dogs were so welcoming, and it was nice to get away,” says Freshman Melanie Kramer.

A plethora of dogs were seen in the Student Center quad this Saturday, including a very well-known dog to our campus, Emma. Emma is a 14-year-old Australian Shepherd, who loves coming to campus to see the students, as she has been visiting for 12 years now. Emma not only works with students, but her owners allow her to take her healing abilities to other psychiatrists. During a hospital visit, Emma found a way to connect with a 16-year-old boy who was afraid of her, and within minutes the boy formed an unforgettable bond with her. Emma also formed multiple connections at a charter school in Santa Rosa to destress children after the 2017 fires.

“She does more than people meeting people, she brings them together with her gentle spirit,” said owners David and Donna Lee.

Another amazing dog who was seen during the Doggy Play Day was Kiss and her owner Colleen Werner. Kiss is a very calm and sweet Corgi. Even though she is sweet and timid, she has many advanced abilities. Kiss is a champion show dog, knows how to herd, travels long distances, knows how to swim, and even has her own agility course in her house. As a therapy dog she travels to hospitals to help destress staff and hospice, however her favorite is coming to Sonoma State University to run on the luscious grass and hangout with students.  

Each dog at this event had many of their own unique stories, and each of them were able to create special bonds with people. Amber, one of the therapy dogs that attended is also very popular to young children. During her owner Don Korbin’s retirement, Amber and him spend time with Readers of the Pack getting read books to kindergarteners.

“Not only are these dogs extremely friendly, but they also really have interesting stories about their life, and their owners welcome any questions,” says student Jose Morales.

SHAC Doggy Play Day is a great way for students to take some time away from their academic environment and have some fun with some playful friends. SHAC invites therapy dogs to Sonoma State’s campus every month, so any student can partake and enjoy the love these animals bring.