Stress Free Zone at SIP

With finals season right around the corner, finding a comfortable study environment can be difficult, especially when it comes to cramming in last minute studies. During this stress filled season, Sonoma State University provides several different outlets for students to get in some quality study time. The Student Center, specifically, offers a variety of different events including the “Stress Free Zone at W+B & the Student Center” as well as special hours and free coffee at SIP. 

The Stress Free Zone takes place Tues., Dec. 10 at 8:30 p.m. until Wed., Dec. 11 at 12 a.m.. The event will continue through the night. In addition, SIP will be open 24 hours every day of finals week, and free drip coffee will be served 8 p.m.-7 a.m. Sun., Dec. 8 through Thurs., Dec. 12. On Dec. 13, free coffee will be served from 12 a.m.-7 p.m..

In addition to the free study space is a chance to chow down on some free pizza. W+B will be giving out free pizza for the nights of Stress Free Zone. Students will also be given access to games as a way of taking breaks from their tedious studying. Seawolves will also have the chance to partake in the Wheel of Fortune, located at the Student Center Info and Tickets desk, where they can win some finals studying gifts and other little treats. The Wheel of Fortune is available  from 10 p.m.- 12 a.m., so make sure to get there before this portion of the event ends. 

For a few years now, the Recreation and Leisure department at Sonoma State has made the stress free zone as well as free coffee apart of their finals tradition. Every year, students gather in the Student Center and make sure to include these events into their finals week routine.

Nate Moneda, Sonoma State senior and Political Science major, enjoys the Stress Free Zone every finals season.

“I’m thankful to have Sonoma State’s Stress Free Zone. One of my favorite places to go to is to the fireplace in the Student Center. I tend to utilize that area when I’m in between classes to chill and hang out before my next class. I’m excited for the free pizza and the people at the stress free zone are friendly during finals week,” said Moneda.

This event particularly is very useful for students and helps aid in getting into the intense study groove of finals. Transfer student, Sean Zirkle, is looking forward to attending this year’s Stress Free Zone and getting a glimpse into all of the resources Sonoma State provides.

“I did not know about the Stress Free Zone until my friends brought it up. Studying for finals can be really stressful and it can be difficult focusing in my own house sometimes,” said Zirkle. “Because most coffee shops are closed at night, the Stress Free Zone sounds like the perfect opportunity to be in a like-minded study environment and also get free food.”

If students are looking for a little beverage to accompany their free pizza, SIP offers coffee free of charge. Free drip coffee during finals week is an amenity that helps students charge through their tedious week and help focus.

“This is my 7th finals season at Sonoma, and I can say that I’ve taken advantage of SIP’s free coffee during finals week every semester I’ve been here. I usually have to pay a few bucks a day for coffee, so getting it for free from SIP during finals is a blessing,” says Sonoma State student, Michelle Villasenor.

The Student Center building will be open 24 hours during every day of finals week, so be sure to take advantage of all of it’s finals week options and events.