Study abroad amidst the pandemic

exc-5e9612bcc23f2f7a4c55aee8
exc-5e9612bcc23f2f7a4c55aee8

Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime opportunity for students. It’s a time for youth to immerse themselves in another culture in a very unique way. With the current global crisis at hand, this opportunity seems to be quickly fleeting from the hands of eager students. Although most universities are not requiring that their students come home, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) is strongly advising that students make a swift and safe return home if possible. While it may seem like this world-wide emergency will last a lifetime, institutions are still hoping and planning for the best and so should students! 

Optimistic plans for the future are key to returning back to normalcy, which is why the International office at Sonoma State University (SSU) is instructing students to move forward with their plans to study abroad for the fall semester. 

Study Abroad.png

“If students are considering studying abroad next year, or sometime in the future, they should still be doing that. We don’t yet know what the fall semester is going to look like, but there is a chance that programs will run as normal, and I would hate students to miss out on opportunities because they held back from applying,” said Global Engagement Coordinator and International and Exchange Program Advisor, Hope Ortiz. 

The mere thought of going abroad might be too unsettling for some students during these times. However, it’s important for students to note that programs will be postponed or canceled if it isn’t safe enough. 

“While studying abroad there is so much support from your home school and your abroad school. Their job is to keep you safe. They take that job very seriously. It is very clear that the world can change on a dime and you never know what is going to happen but I suggest seeing the world while you can. I think it is that simple. I don’t regret a single day I have been in Korea even in a pandemic,” said Alyssa Brown, who has been teaching in South Korea since before the virus has spread. Brown also studied abroad two years ago in Uppsala, Sweden. 

Brown’s experience in South Korea, as an English teacher, throughout the spread of the virus can be extremely useful for students who are on the fence about studying abroad next term. In the case of another upsurge of the virus, Brown said that students can expect to feel just as safe as they would at home. 

“Life has almost gone back to normal and I still feel quite safe. I did not feel any animosity or inferior in my safety because I was foreign. They have treated everyone exactly the same…It was comforting to be able to call our country’s embassy for accurate information and governed advice about what to do. Obviously at the beginning it was a little scary being in a foreign country and not knowing whether to try and stay here or buy the first plane ticket home. I am happy with my decision to stay in Korea,” said Brown.

It is important to note that students who go abroad will have adequate healthcare available to them in the case of another outbreak. According to Ortiz, students who study abroad are required to enroll in international health insurance. Some countries even require that students enroll in their own national health insurance on top of that. 

If financial changes due to the pandemic seem to be making or breaking a student’s decision to study abroad, they should contact the International office to explore different options. Ortiz explained, some study abroad locations are actually cheaper than staying here in California. 

Another valuable tidbit of information is that universities and International programs are being very flexible towards students who are deciding to come home due to the virus. To learn more about the options available contact Ortiz at [email protected]

“We all love to dream that we will travel someday…this sort of pipe dream. After leaving college it is clear the ‘real’ world comes quick. Bills, rent, relationships, careers, family all might make that dream become less and less possible. Studying abroad changed everything, it changed my path, my dreams, everything,” said Brown.