Seawolves Speak: Will you be taking advantage of the Credit/No Credit option for classes?

The switch to remote classes has been quite the transition for many students, especially for those who have yet to take a class online here at Sonoma State University. Professors had to make the quick change after the COVID-19 pandemic caused the Governor of California to enforce a “shelter-in-place” policy. For some students, that meant having to move back home with their parents, to an atmosphere that may be difficult for them to focus on their schoolwork. Sonoma State wanted to give students the opportunity to finish their courses as successfully as possible, so they changed some of the school’s policies and procedures.

In an email sent out to Seawolves, the university administration said, “Starting TODAY, April 15, any undergraduate student can change any graded course (major, minor, GE, or elective) for which they are registered in Spring 2020 to Credit/No Credit(CR/NC) grading.” Before making the decision, students should review their course syllabus and talk to their professors, as well as checking in with their advisor. Seawolves should be aware that the last date to change grade mode for Spring is May 8, and any changes made after that will require a student petition to the “Registrar” in order to convert the letter grade to credit/no credit. 

The Sonoma State Star posted a poll on their Instagram story asking students if they will be taking advantage of the credit/no credit option.

“The reason I’m not taking the option is because my perception on how I do in school is pretty much based on the grades I receive in courses.”-Lindsey Abbott, Third Year, Theatre Arts major

“The reason I’m not taking the option is because my perception on how I do in school is pretty much based on the grades I receive in courses.”

-Lindsey Abbott, Third Year, Theatre Arts major

“I changed one of my GE courses to C/NC because it won’t affect my GPA, and since I’m a senior I had plenty of C/NC units left to use.”-Andrea Rossi, Fourth Year, Environmental Studies and Planning major

“I changed one of my GE courses to C/NC because it won’t affect my GPA, and since I’m a senior I had plenty of C/NC units left to use.”

-Andrea Rossi, Fourth Year, Environmental Studies and Planning major

“I didn’t take advantage of it because I am currently doing better in classes than I was before, so it’s beneficial for me to keep my grades how they are now.”-Leonardo Gutierrez , Fourth Year , Business Marketing major

“I didn’t take advantage of it because I am currently doing better in classes than I was before, so it’s beneficial for me to keep my grades how they are now.”

-Leonardo Gutierrez , Fourth Year , Business Marketing major

“For my statisitc’s class, I switched the grade option because I suck at math in general and learning it online doesn’t really help out.”-Xavier Ravella, First Year, English major

“For my statisitc’s class, I switched the grade option because I suck at math in general and learning it online doesn’t really help out.”

-Xavier Ravella, First Year, English major

“I didn’t because I feel like it’s really possible I could get straight A’s and I would rather have a 4.0 then just credit.”-Rickiyah McGrady, Third Year, Psychology major

“I didn’t because I feel like it’s really possible I could get straight A’s and I would rather have a 4.0 then just credit.”

-Rickiyah McGrady, Third Year, Psychology major

“I am not because I have worked hard in my classes this semester and I continue to have good grades so I want it to improve my GPA.”-Joaquin Angulo, Fourth Year, Business Marketing major

“I am not because I have worked hard in my classes this semester and I continue to have good grades so I want it to improve my GPA.”

-Joaquin Angulo, Fourth Year, Business Marketing major