Sonoma State releases the LoboConnect app for students

exc-5f44513a0c9188198a53f3b7
exc-5f44513a0c9188198a53f3b7

On Aug. 17th, students at Sonoma State University were greeted with a brand new tool to start the school year. Seawolves were introduced to the LoboConnect mobile app, which has a plethora of tools to help students stay organized and get the resources they need to stay successful this semester.

COURTESY// Sonoma State

COURTESY// Sonoma State

Since it has been announced that most classes will not be held in-person, there has been some concern among the efficacy of online learning. Last semester at Sonoma State was taught completely virtually for the last two months of classes, a surprising turn of events for everyone. While there has been more time to prepare for the upcoming virtual semester, many students and parents worry about the effect on education. At this time, it is very important that students feel the same support and reliability from the campus as they would in any other circumstance. Hopefully, LoboConnect will be able to provide Seawolves with just that. 

“LoboConnect Mobile App will be able to send student push notifications about events to get them further engaged in academic/non-academic programs,” said Derek Bradley, an Academic Advisor who was heavily involved in deciding the content of the app. “More features will be added later to allow students to map out their academic plan.”

LoboConnect has a variety of tools to assist students in gaining success. There is a tool in which students can explore requirements for their major and what careers are available to someone with a degree in that field. The tool dedicated to resources provides students with people and places that can help them with whatever they need. The To-Do and Appointments tools make it easier to stay on top of assignments and meetings with advisors or professors. The Study Buddy and Class Schedule tools work together to find other students in those classes to start virtual study groups.

Students are saying the release of this app could not have come at a better time. Due to COVID-19 not allowing many schools to open, LoboConnect is just what students need to stay on track this year. 

“I’m really excited to use the new app,” said third-year student Eli Carey. “I feel like I could easily get lost this semester but hopefully LoboConnect can help me stay organized.” 

This app has the potential to help students thrive as much as possible in a time like this. Loboconnect has actually been planned out for some time. Luckily for students, it’s being pushed out during a time where staying on schedule in this strange school environment is difficult.

“Sonoma State University has actually been in the planning and implementation of this app for over a year,” said Director of Student Success and Advising, Jamie Zamjahn.

While Sonoma State has been implementing the use of the app’s technology for advising and other services for about two years, this is the first time it will be accessible directly to students. 

“The app will actually help students with a few aspects of virtual learning,” Zamjahn said. “This app connects students with advisors, student services, staff, faculty, and peers. Students can identify their advisors and set up an appointment directly in the app. Plus much more!”

The app also has the ability to sync with the Calendar app on any iPhone, so users can further schedule their schooling in accordance with their personal or work lives. However, some students may find that they already know how to stay on top of their schedule and assignments without the help of LoboConnect. Deja Whitney, a fifth year at Sonoma State, said, “I don’t think I’ll be using it at all unless my teachers tell me to.” 

As with every new technological development, there are going to be people who show no interest in the matter. This could very well be the case for Sonoma State’s new app. As Whitney said, there is the likelihood of students feeling that the app is unnecessary in achieving success. This may especially be true for students who are farther along in their college careers, as they are mostly done with the exploring and advising portion of their education. However, that does not mean that a fourth or fifth year student has no use for the app. It still provides the option of finding study buddies and a tool to find a tutor, which can be useful for anyone.

“The app allows students and staff to work together to help each student persist,” said Zamjahn. 

For more information on LoboConnect, visit studentsuccess.sonoma.edu or contact their academic advising by emailing [email protected].