Club Spotlight: The Vagina Monologues

exc-5f8622b96fd43149072b6d0e
exc-5f8622b96fd43149072b6d0e

Sonoma State University’s production of The Vagina Monologues, originally written and performed by V in the 90s, has been an annual event for years on the campus, but things are looking a little bit different this year. Instead of the usual production of students reading their poetry, made impossible with COVID-19 guidelines, a performance in the near future may not be possible for the group.

The directors feel very strongly about the community The Vagina Monologues provides for their members and want to make sure there is still a space for newcomers and returning students to share their stories or spend time with one another. Especially in a time of social distancing, interacting with other students who share similar ideals and create a safe space for expressing oneself can help make everyone feel less alone. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 2.59.32 PM.png

“Vagina Monologues is important to me because it gave me a space, not just on campus but in my life in general, where I felt really safe to be myself and speak openly about my values and identity. I’ve become a more outspoken person in all areas of life because of Vagina Monologues,” said Vagina Monologues’ Co-Director and SSU student, Victoria Ornelas. 

As well as building community, Vagina Monologues always strives to send a positive and informative message to students viewing the production or attending meetings for the first time. The play includes touching pieces, as well as student-originals, regarding countless social issues. 

The impact on students is eye-opening. The original pieces and V’s pieces resonate for lots of folx. So many students find themselves challenged to change old views that they held. The show opens the hearts and minds for some students to a new way of thinking,” said Club Advisor and Campus Confidential Advocate, Susan Pulido. “It’s important as it normalizes consensual, incredibly satisfying sex, and informs us about relationships, and violence against people, specifically BIPOC women, LGBQ+, trans folx, white women, children, etc.”

The actual production is held on Valentine’s Day weekend every year and performed by student members of the Vagina Monologues club. While there is some speculation within the group that performing may not be a possibility this year, there is still some decision making up in the air, as well as an unwavering commitment to the club and its members. 

“This year’s incredible Co-Directors, led by Alexis Walker, and consisting of Savanna Gould, Victoria Ornelas, and Lizethe Rodriguez, are working on ideas as to how to make things work during this time of COVID-19 and social distancing,” said Pulido.

Though the current pandemic makes a smoothly-running rehearsal space and performance out of reach, the directors are determined to continue weekly meetings for students to attend. 

“After getting feedback from our club members it’s looking like Vagina Monologues might be taking a year off from producing a show. Not 100% sure yet. However, we are still a club! So, we will continue to hold space and community for our members and other folks who want to join. We will play games, watch movies, and be in community with one another over Zoom!” said Co-Director and SSU student, Alexis Walker. “Though we may not have a show, we are still welcoming folks to create original pieces if they feel called to do so.”

The Vagina Monologues will continue to meet via Zoom every Tuesday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. The Zoom link can be found in the @ssuvaginamonologues Instagram bio.